IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hay-days are in the past for trout on this lake. :hoboy: Way too many tui chubs in the water.
They ate all the insects and the trout population is in serious decline. :depressed: Too bad becasue in the late 80' and early 90's this was the lake for monster trout. I exclusively flyfished back in those days and the callibates hatch was a site to behold. I would easily hook and land too many trout to count that were over 5lbs and even a few that were 10lbs+. :shocked: Now that the main food supply is gone the people pitching powerbait have virtually fished out the large trout. It was nothing to see stringers of 5lb+ fish coming out of that lake one after another. :mad: If you **** the resource what do you expect

Traditionlly this lake does not fish well early becuase the water is too cold. If the fishing is slow try fishing Wickiup (sp :shrug: ) or the lake right next to it... cant remember the name off the top of my head. These two fish much better early. We always hit Crane and had good fishing late June through October.

Good luck :cheers:

·
Registered
499 Posts
We used to have a trout tournament there every year. Not anymore. We quit going about 3 years ago. The trout are all but extinct. Fish & Game were at one time considering killing the lake in later summer. Don't know what they decided to do as of yet. The lodge is now for sale. Every report I hear is fished all day and caught one or two small ones. Some had fish all week with the same success. We quit going because four days worth of fishing for fifteen guys only produced a hand full of fish. Power bait in the sticks seemed to be the best way to hook up. This used to be and still is my favorite lake in Oregon. I just won't fish there anymore. It's real sad. Please keep every Bass you catch up to the legal limit. Maybe if we all started doing that it might help. If nothing else the scenery will be as awesome as always. Good luck. SPACE

Wow, what a negative post. It truly is a shame about the fishing there. :hoboy:

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Get the bass out of there, stop the catch and kill guides from keeping every big fish they catch, and stop people from harvesting every 'crane bug' on every log in the lake, and one day the lake may come back. Rumor has it that in addition to the callebaetis hatch, the damsel hatch was world renowned. Now, it hardly even exists. The lake has awesome habitat and awesome spawning habitat for the natives that are in there. They just need a chance. Slot limits or catch and release would have been great. Although, now with the bass and chubs, it will be a long uphill battle for this lake. My biggest non-Alaskan rainbow came from Crane, 28 1'2" caught back in 1997 and haven't come close since. :depressed:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well thanks guys...now that I am officially depressed and despondent about the state of Crane Praire...... :depressed: I agreed that to restore the trout poulation I should keep all the bass I catch. I will definitely do so. BUT.....anyone out there with advice about how/where/what to target the bass? Just trying to do what I can to restore the trout population :wink:

-Mike

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
smizz,
The bass should be all over the place. If the lake is starting to warm, I'd fish spiinerblades through the brush, it's all pretty shallow, brushy and weedy in spots. There should be some nice sized bass, and they are good to eat.
Enjoy the buggers.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It really is not the bass that are the problem it is the bright bulbs (not) that strted using the Tui Chubs for bait. Same thing happened at Diamond Lake. I guess in the 50's and 60's Diamond Lake was considered the best trout fishery in North America where 10lb fish were hohum! These chubs infest the waters and eat all the organic material, bugs, shrimp, everything that support the food chain that the trout rely on. The bass eat the chubs. Bass and trout really occupy totally different parts of the lake and dont compete too much. The chubs are the big problem.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Also try Clear "salt & pepper" Kalins 5" grubs or gitzits in similar colors on 1/8 oz. heads on the rocky points EARLY!!

AND the damsel hatch WAS amazing!!

in years past!! :depressed:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Big smizz, you rock for taking resposability. Now I hope that we catch pontoons full, since we don't have boats. I'm looking forward to pulling big buckets out of that lake. If any one see's two crazy guys in pontoon boats slide a "what's up?" our way. Fishing and camping is my favorite Mem's Day activity. Have a good weekend ya'll. :dance:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I must post a apology to my munz ifishing bud Big Smizz. You see just last week he was fortunate enough to take possesion of a boat curtesy of a fellow ifisher. Big smizz then asked me to be his shipmate on the officially named "SS SCUTZ". So big smizz I stand corrected I can catch a boat full just not this weekend. I hope I have thuroughly confused everyone. Again I apologize. now lets catch some fish, shipmate Big Smizz, and lets get the skunk off the SS SCUTZ, ASAP.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I must post a apology to my munz ifishing bud Big Smizz. You see just last week he was fortunate enough to take possesion of a boat curtesy of a fellow ifisher. Big smizz then asked me to be his shipmate on the officially named "SS SCUTZ". So big smizz I stand corrected I can catch a boat full just not this weekend. I hope I have thuroughly confused everyone. Again I apologize. now lets catch some fish, shipmate Big Smizz, and lets get the skunk off the SS SCUTZ, ASAP. :bowdown:

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Who was the bonehead who had the idea of putting bass in the lake to begin with??

I don't know much about the chubs but the bass eat young trout and thats the biggest problem.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi all: I am heading to Crane Prarie over Memorial day weekend to try to put a hurting on anything that swims. I have never fished this lake before. Any suggestions for this time of year? We will be fishing from 'toon boats, so we will have to pick and choose our spots. Bass or trout would be fine. Any help out there? Of course a report will be forthcoming when we return and, with a little luck, we will post pics of our catch as well. Thanks!

-Mike

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Go for bass, bass, and more bass. Keep them all, every last one of them. The trout need a break.
good luck over there, I'll be at odell and crescent.
GBS

·
Registered
545 Posts
Myself and 6wapati6 fished cp hard for years. There was nothing better than pulling into rock creek campground the day before the opener putting our tent up in a snow storm. Waking up to 6 inches of snow and dreaming about the 10lb rainbows. We don't go to cp much anymore because of what the chub's and bass have done to the lake. Our favorite method around memorial day was to go out from the submerged tree's about 200yrds and fish powerbait on the anchor. Make sure you anchor the bow and the stern because that wind can get really nasty in the afternoon. Getting a limit this way was never a problem. We also hooked alot of big fish out in the open compared to fishing in the tree's. Good luck and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I always liked Quinn River late in the year, around closing time..........Kokanee spawning would be just a sea of red in the river and fishing was great too :smile: Course it was kinda hard to find the dragonfly nymphs in the snow lol

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Was just in Bend over the weekend and stoped by CP. There were 2 fish caught on the 16th that were both around 7 lbs.I didnt fish myself so cant say if its good or not. Try the mouth of Quinn River with rainbow power bait...Good luck.

Fool

1 - 17 of 17 Posts