IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught this 6.5lb Rainbow at Crane Prairie this weekend.I was trolling a small Rebel lure in the Cultus channel.Water temperature in the lake is warm at 60 degree's but the channels are 10-15 degree's cooler.October is my favorite month to fish Crane.

Registered
Beauty of a fish.Was anything riseing for a fly?
October is a fine time for sure.

Banned
That gets the old heart-rate up there, doesn't it? Let's see... 65 beats a minute while you're trolling, 100 when he hits, and 247 when you realize how big he is.

Great picture - beautiful fish. :cheers:

Skein

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wildgoose,

There were fish rising in the upper channels of the Cultus and the Deschutes.Some nice size brookies are schooling up in the Cultus but would not take anything we used.We were using hardware and I did not take my fly rod.

Registered
How is the water level ?
What specific rebel lure were ya draggin ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The water level is higher than last year at this time.I think that we hit 11 feet in the Deschutes channel.Out in the open water we average 6-8 feet.I was using a very small rebel crawad with size 14 hooks.

Registered
:dance: I'm going up to Crane Prairie with a couple of friends thursday night, hope to boat at least one that looks like that(BEEUUTEEFUL). Have never fished in October. The last couple times I have been there in May it wasn't good at all, but I can't resist the sceenery.

[ 10-07-2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: fishoman ]

Registered
Nice fish :smile:
Unfortunately due to the bass problem, fish like that are far and few between when they were fairly common only a few years ago.

Registered
Does anyone have any suggestions on how, what, and where to fish for the Bass? I would love to help deplete the bass population there, but so far have not had much luck..

Registered
yes, it's sad what has happened to the fishery. I used to flaot tube it up in the channels and cast
bear hair leeches for some really incredible fish.
The last few years it's headed south. All those limits of huge bows you'd see at the store, I wonder how good it would have been if they managed it a a trophy fishery better. Plus, the bass have done some real damage too on the forage base for the big rainbows. Still, there are some nice fish around if you put in the time. Nice fish!
GBS

Registered
I have never tried this at Crane Prarie but I love using Poppers for Bass. Use a system Seven or better and heavy leader 20 # at Pop anything and everthing that looks like cover close to the shore. When they hit, it is spectacular. Catch as many as you want and I hear they fry up really
good in Fish Fry. The Osprey love em too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still, there are some nice fish around if you put in the time.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I agree with GBS,but what other lake can produce a 5 pound Rainbow or Brook trout? I checked my fishing log and my last five trips to Crane we have caught 6 trout over 5 pounds and 1 over 10 pounds.I would still recommend fishing Crane Prairie to anybody who wants a chance at a trophy trout.

[ 10-08-2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Jimmy ]

Registered
I love Crane in October! Very little pressure and the big boys are activly feeding to put weight on for winter. I would take a 5+ lb. "Cranebow" on light gear over a Salmon any day!
Sweeeeeeeet Fish :cheers:

Jfool :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts