IFish.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a bronze statue that I would like to sell. It is a fairly valuable piece, and there is a minimum price I would take for it. However, shipping it could be a problem. Or, at least, fairly expensive.

So, do I go with craigslist, where the buyer would have to pick it up, or ebay, where I might have to ship it, but could potentially get more $? I have purchased a few items on ebay, but have never used craigslist.

I have already spoken with several art dealers in Oregon, and it is unlikely that they would be able to resell it for me. (It is a smaller version of the statue, "Arrival," located at Fort Clatsop.)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I use ebay when I can easily ship it, and craigslist when I can't

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I've got a bronze statue that I would like to sell. It is a fairly valuable piece, and there is a minimum price I would take for it. However, shipping it could be a problem. Or, at least, fairly expensive.

So, do I go with craigslist, where the buyer would have to pick it up, or ebay, where I might have to ship it, but could potentially get more $? I have purchased a few items on ebay, but have never used craigslist.

I have already spoken with several art dealers in Oregon, and it is unlikely that they would be able to resell it for me. (It is a smaller version of the statue, "Arrival," located at Fort Clatsop.)
Figure in weight, packaging, insurance if requested and see if it's worth even trying ebay, I believe snail mail and ups have weight limits before it becomes "freight"

Try craigslist first...it may have more value locally than abroad....if you don't get a sale...look into ebay...you are charged for final $$$ the item sells for, for "EBAY Commission"

Maybe Fort Clatsop would be interested in the piece, or a local bussiness in that area????

·
Registered
16,793 Posts
Artwork can be tough to sell and unless you can find somebody who collects that artist, you need a lot of exposure. Hence either a consignment in a gallery or eBay.

On eBay you should research the completed auctions for other works by that artist to gauge the market's interest.

·
Administrator
41,347 Posts
I think the security aspects of EBay give it the nod. Craigslist is rife with dubious pedigree issues.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
I'd go with ebay, too. Much safer, and buyers there are already accustomed to paying for shipping on stuff they buy, so I really think that's a non-issue. You can specify in your listing a reserve price, and you can also add information in your listing that local pick up would be allowed if you want to. You might want to adjust your reserve price to account for paypal fees (if you'll take paypal) listing fees, and final value fees. And being able to check a bidder/buyer's feedback is a huge plus.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
"Craigslist is rife with dubious pedigree issues".

Pete, that is so true and so funny the way you put that

Jet~~~

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
craigs list is good for FTF cash deals in neutral spots. I love craigs list!! But for your item sounds like a more widespread audience would bring more cash:smash:

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmm.... What about using an ebay seller who specializes in art? I am willing to pay a commission just to get the darn thing sold. The problem is that it's #5 out of 800, but only about 400 have sold so far, and the artist is still alive. It was purchased about 25 years ago from Ft. Clatsop (that is the only seller, as far as I know.)
The only reason I would want to keep it is if it might quadruple in value to help pay for my kids' education. But, since that is highly unlikely, I could take the money it's worth now, and invest it in some excavation work on our property. The increase in our property value would be at least double the value of the statue. And that is worth something to us.

·
Registered
921 Posts
eBay has some protections and if you use PayPay you will most likely get your money. Too many scammers on craiglist.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts