IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
got 3 dungeness and 1 giant red rock about 1 1/2 weeks ago at Newport docks.......not to bad for only 2 rings and a couple hours I guess

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife and I crabbed out near Ilwaco and it was pretty slow. We got 7 males, which were only Oregon sized. Then we started to only get females. I'm guessing that the commercial crabbers have taken them all out.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Salmon Striker you are a little off it was 13 for four hours of crabbing. Had three people in the boat so 13 split three ways was just enough for dinner. :whazzup:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Did anyone go crabbing last weekend, and did you do any good? I have a few fresh caught Shad and a taste for fresh crab. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks guys, since I hadn't heard anything I figured it was slow. Haven’t decided where to go yet but I’ll post a report when I get back.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Is there a length restriction on red's I was at the dock at newport where the seals hang out and these guys had a bucketful with shells about 4-1/2" to 5-1/2" They looked like a rough bunch so I decided to skip the comments.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
We managed 13 on Saturday, using fresh pink-fin heads for bait. We had a bad tide, but still managed a few for the 4 hours we went out. Lots of females, and some soft males. We were in Coos Bay. Good luck.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Wingman is correct.anything goes on the reds.and,i might add,quite tasty those red rocks.IMHO more flavorfull than the dungy.they are a lot smaller and less meat though. :cheers:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Red Rock crab are legal at any size, if I catch them, I eat them, as they are competing with the dungies and are much tougher. I'd be interested to hear others comments on this. If I catch a rock crab, it does'nt go back. There have been areas that were historically dungie grounds that have been decimated and overcome by rocks.
:grin: RIPPLE :grin:

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've always kept the reds and eaten them. Why not, it's a separate limit and they're tasty.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Reds don't have as much meat, but if good size the legs and claws are definitely worth the trouble. I never thought about them competing with Dungeness for habitat...maybe I'll start keeping some smaller ones too.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Reds better tasting than a Dungeness? Can we get some votes on that? Here's my vote: No way is a Red tastier than a dungeness IMHO.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've always found the reds to have a bitter taste compared to dungeness. Hard for me to eat more than one. Maybe it's the way I prepare them. I've never tried cleaning them prior to cooking, but I've seen on previous posts that I should give that a shot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts