IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are heading to buoy 10 on the 15th and i was wondering if someone could tell me the better places to set a couple of crab pots both out side in the ocean and also inside if the weather is bad. I also need to know how to take of them until we get back to shore and cook them. I have a live well and a cooler with ice on board. By the way I do know how to clean and eat them.

We will be in white 20' duck, our call name is settlement. It would be fun to talk to spme fellow I fish members. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Just west of Hammond in 20'-30' can be good, not sure where in the ocean. Just put the crab in water from river until you cook them. :cheers:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Good thread, as I am also curious. Have often wondered this very question. How deep on average & where NOT to place them. Have noticed quite a few over on the north jetty side. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Full Freezer

·
Registered
138 Posts
On friday we dropped 6 rings in on the north side of the jetty, pulled them in about 20 minutes later, had 15 keepers. Engine problems prevented us from staying for more.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
OK, I've got one. I'd like to crab north of Buoy 10 and the yellow can but inside of the North Jetty (still in the river and east of the bar). How much weight do I need in my pots to keep them from becoming swept away by river&tidal current. I launch out of Ilwaco and don't cross the bar. Should I consider somewhere else?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Oh boy. :whazzup:

Guys, help me out here. I have brand new crab pots. Never been used. I have never crabbed before.

I really dont want to see MY traps floating by so here is your chance to avoid getting your gear hung up by a rookie. :blush:

How much weight? What kind of weight? What else should I know to prevent disaster & catastrophe?? :sick:

My parents are comming down for a couple of days & Dad has never caught a salmon before. I'd also like to treat them to a nice crab dinner.

Can you help? :bowdown:

Thanks,
Full freezer

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good question BH. Several years ago one of my boys and I were fishing B-10 and before hitting the line, we put our traps exactly in the area you are interested in. (We had done it several times before). As we were out on the line trying for the salmon, the "cb" crackled with "there's a crab pot just passing #12. Didn't think anything of it. Soon there was a "now its just passing 14". I laughed with my son about the dummy who didn't weight his pots enough. You gessed it. When we got back behind the " A" jetty to run our pots, one was missing. I don't remember how much weight we were useing, but I haven't been back there since. Just haven't made it, but talked about it a lot. Will definately be interested in the answers you get.

·
Registered
873 Posts
You may want to check DH2, I think the ocean closes on the 15th for both commercial and sport crabbing. The river however remains open. Please check with ODFW first as I would hate to see you pick up a ticket.

Sore Back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts