IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have a decent boat, can any good soul out there please help a guy to know where to go crabbing in Wa and how to do it? Thnx so much!

·
Administrator
119,642 Posts
I don't know much about crabbing out of Washington.

Lots of questions going unanswered today... Anyone out there that can help?

Jen

·
Administrator
41,368 Posts
There have been some posts lately suggesting that at Newport and Astoria the crabbing is slow ... lots of females and soft shells. Same thing this time last year, too. Keeper crabs seemed to be missing in action. I'd say it's not worth much effort until later in the summer ... but if you're doing something else, what's to lose but some bait?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Your profile says s.w. Washington so I assume Illwaco (sp?) is in your reach. If it is, launch at Illwaco and once you hit the Columbia crab on the west side of the rock jetty (usually other crabbers in the area). If you get a bunch of females move. Remeber in WA you need a shellfish license.

Or launch on the Oregon side in Hammond and crab around buoy 22.

It is also good to remeber that when you crab that area pots are usually easier to run because of the sometimes sloppy conditions. The danielsons traps work well and cost less than rings. Throw them out and wait a half hour and after than you can check them every 20 minutes or so.

I don't have any gps points for there or I would give them to you.

[ 05-28-2003, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Grits ]

·
Registered
246 Posts
I hear that crabbing is best in months that have an R in them though I never have crabbed a lot myself
Early to bed Early to rise fish all day make up lies.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
I've alweays made a habit of waiting till fall, my best months oct, nov. dec. lots of big healthy, fat full crabs. not to say summer is'nt good though.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Crabbing in Nehalem bay last weekend was sloooow.
It was incredibly short on "keeper" crabs. I did manage five of them that were surprisingly all hard shells. I am sure that a run into the ocean would have been productive, but the bar was not looking cooperative.
:grin: RIPPLE :grin:

[ 05-29-2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: RIPPLE ]

·
Registered
909 Posts
I crab in the lower hood canal. It is opening up the 1st of june. Anywhere in less than 40 feet of water works. Their are tons of crabs in the canal. I have been going their for 10 years and allways get my limit. If you need more info I can get more specific as to location. Let me know.

·
Banned
1,580 Posts
Try the Web Site www.cushmanboats.com, click on the Current "Fishing Report". Crabbing on Hoods Canal opens June 1st.
Easy public launch right at the Cushman Powerhouse off 101 near Hoodsport.Good site with "hot spots" listed. Yeh, crabbings slow at buoy 22 off Hammond. Four pots soaked 6 hours last Saturday, three retreved, one lost and 1 keeper.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
This is a real slow time of year for the crabbing but I do recall last year on the third Saturday of June we went out and got 29 crab (bouy 22) area. If I were to suggest crabbing in that area I would say that you need to stay closer to the red can than in the shallower water this time of year. I wouldnt crab in less than 25 ft of water personally. In the shallow areas say 12ft to 20ft you'll end up with tons of baby crab and females.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We went crabbing in Puget Sound this weekend. It was our first time and got to keep 3 dungeness on Sat. and 5 on Monday. We put our boat in at Everett and put the pots in between Mukilteo and Everett, about 100 feet from shore in about 50 feet of water. Not sure how much longer the season is open and it was being heavily harvested, but the crab taste great!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts