IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to do some crabbing this weekend and was wondering where I could rent some rings or pots? Would like to go in the Netarts area if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the input.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
When you buy your bait go to a safeway or one of the fish markets and ask them if they have crab bait. Whole lot cheaper and you can get plenty for about 5 bucks. The marinas will charge your shoes off of you.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Sawyer's Landing in Newport rents boats and crab traps. I've always done real well in Newport for crabbing. Also, Sawyer's will cook your crab for you for $3/dozen, and they have a good cleaning table on the dock.

SKP

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Nehalem bay, on Hwy 53 and 101 is a place that rents boats. You can also check further down the river towards the mouth. There is a place called the "FISHERY" you can rent boats there too.

Good luck and have fun. :cheers:

·
Registered
172 Posts
TeamFish,
Now we are in my neck of the woods.
I have been crabbing on Netarts bay pretty regularly for about 4-5 years now. Here is what you should try.

Work the incoming tide - you can rent a boat at Netarts Bay RV Park(not sure of their rates). Head towards the mouth of the bay. About 1/3 of the way across the mouth from the Happy Camp side of the bay make an imaginary line from the Big cement piling in the beach to the middle of the spit. Drop your first pot in about this area. and if the seas are calm head toward the ocean be careful though on the incoming run the surf can come in quickly. I have heard the mouth has changed a bit the last couple months but there is still a nice hole somewhere in this area. If you have a depth finder you are one step ahead. Just find the deep water near the mouth.

After the tide comes in a bit an the mouth gets to choppy head back in and try dropping a few traps in the shallower water across from the schooner landing.

What to use - Shad works well, but the #1 Netarts bay bait that we have found is just a pile of Turkey Drumsticks, Sounds a bit unorthodox(sp) but it will bring 'em in. They are cheap and every store has 'em

Good luck and let me know how you do

FOD

[ 07-25-2003, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: FishOrDie ]

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
My boss is down at Netarts this weekend. Make sure you harass him thoroughly. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts