IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been since I was a kid that I can remember crabbing in Garibaldi, I feel the time has come to try it out.

Anybody who can give me some advice -- :shrug: the best time, are some months better than others, best bait, depth of crab, and any other words of wisdom would be much appreciated!

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,378 Posts
Just some general stuff. Best bait is tuna carks. Second best is shad. You can crab all through an incoming tide but high slack will be the best time. Depth can change depending where you are but generaly 20ish feet. Make sure your float line is at least 40 feet long or you will lose the pots during flow. Try for somewhat protected (from the current) areas. This is a start. I'm sure somebody can give you the specifics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We usually try to crab the incoming tide in about 15-20 feet of water. The seals have been working the crab traps so we changed our bait and we are using turkey legs now. Thea are cheap and the seals leave them alone. The crabs seam to like them because we normaly do pretty well with them. Good luck and keep safe out there

·
Administrator
41,375 Posts
Poultry parts work very well, at times better than fish parts. Until recently, when the local, independant grocery store folded, they would let me have their out-of-date chicken and turkey.

I used to crab with a guy that kept some cans of cat food as back up bait. After the shad was gone if he didn't have a limit, he'd stab the catfod can a couple times and drop it in the crab trap.

There's a ongoing debate about what type of trap works best; rings, Danielson traps or commercial-style traps. If you have the time and patience to work rings, they probably will yeild the most take, but if you plan to fish, too, you might want to leave traps. A search will yeild tips on buoy placement, line weighting, door weighting and electrolosis issues.

·
Registered
873 Posts
We crab Tillamook bay quite often. Our favorite bait has always been Shad. Our best time is around slack water, or as with this weekend, a small runoff. Saturday we hi-graded 17 prime dungies in about six and one half hours in 4 pots.
Depth? Find as deep of water as you can while staying out of the channel.

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts