IFish.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
119,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just loved this! I found it in the archives. Crabbait wrote it, and posted it.

Here it is, for all to enjoy and ponder:
----------------------------------------

Ya know, people evolve through phases in fishing:

In Phase 1, they just try to catch a fish, any fish. A fellow may only have one "pole" and no technique, but they have the desire and they envy the guys who really can catch fish.

In Phase 2, people are finally able to catch fish so they then try to see how many they can catch, think it is a big deal, get real upset when they lose a fish, and try to show all the people in Phase 1 how cool they are 'cuz they can catch fish. They buy lots of cool gear and maybe a jet sled. Egos are temporarily blown way out of proportion and they think that guiding is definitely in their future.

Phase 3 folks finally realize that catching a whole bunch of fish is not that big a deal, so they go after the big trophy fish or they only fish dry flies or only ultra-light gear. They know they are way cooler than the guys who catch a lot of little fish or stupid estuary fish or fish with bait. Again their egos get feed.

Phase 4 guys have pretty much done it all. They start to notice what a great day it is just to be out on the water. A lost fish is no big deal. They start experimenting with different ways to catch fish just to see what may work. They take great joy in getting a newbie into a fish and sharing what they know and the beauty of a day on the water.

Some people progress slowly through the phases. Some realize quickly how silly some phases are and move through quickly. Some never get out of Phase 1 or 2.

The only hard part about being a Phase 4 fisherman is that some Phase 1, 2, and 3 fishermen really get on the nerves. Its kinda like the old bull trying to put up with the new bull who just realized what his "special purpose". The temptation to put a horn in his hind parts is, at times, nearly irresistible.

Try to resist the urge.

[ 06-25-2003, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: crabbait ]
--------------------
So don't sit upon the shoreline,
and say you're satisfied;
Choose to chance the rapids,
and dare to dance the tides.

[ 11-13-2003, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
140 Posts
My fondest experience is putting a newbie on a real fish for their first time. This goes from grandchildren to grandparents. I've had many friends say, "Now it's my turn", but I was happy with the experience and ready to go home when they were. Just being out was worth everything.

Yes I Am

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Thats a great post crabbait. Thanks Jennie. I'm 27 years old. Just moving out of phase 2 and hoping to skip 3 and go right on to 4. I have a 5 year old and a two year old that are going to be fishing with me more starting next spring. Even it mean spending more time on the lakes in pursuit of the little chromers. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Great post! Have to put myself in phase two. In fact, just bought the sled. I like to think my head is in phase four. Fishing highlight of the year was taking a buddy fishing at B10. Never caught a fish in his life......not a trout, brim, or cat. First fish ever?.....33# chromer. Out did my personal best by 10#. That day was awsome!

Freak

·
Registered
716 Posts
I think there should be more discussion on the "horn in the hind parts" theory. Quite possibly Phase 5. Resisting the urge.

·
Administrator
119,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why, yes, I believe it is! I started at the age of four at phase four. :smile: :smile:

However, since then, I've gone through all stages at one time or another. :smile:

It's funny. Sometimes the kid in me comes out and it's like, "GIVE ME THAT FISH! HOW DARE YOU CATCH MORE THAN ME?"

:smile: :smile: Other days, it's "Here, take this fish I hooked!" :smile:

I've got bi polar fishing disease. :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
16,496 Posts
Right on CrabBait!!! :bowdown: I`m glad they let you go free. :laugh: I too love to see someone get into their first steelie or nook, or heck, any good ol` fish. I think I get nearly as big a rush as they do! Thanx Jen! That made for an excellent Friday at the office read. :wink: Bobfeet.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Thanks Jennie and Crabbait. :cheers: So true. I've been a 4 for more than I can remember. Does that mean that I'm old or experienced or both?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm definitely Phase 1, but I prefer to think of it as "catch and release without the catch". My buddy caught his first one yesterday, and when asked how, he said "I don't know; I just do what that little kid over there tells me to." He's out again looking for another...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts