IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little confused about the 24 crab only in a holding pot rule change in oregon for next year. Does this mean that you can only have 24 crab in an ice chest or what? :shrug: I have talked to a couple of friends and no one knows what they mean. So I thought that some one here on ifish could enlighten me. Thanks for any help.

SL

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Just guessing, but it sounds like it refers to keeping crabs alive in cage by your dock or something. A "holding pen", a "crab ranch". Hmm sounds like a good idea. Fresh cooked crab on demand.

So it would be live crabs, not cooked & on ice.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have thought about taking one of my old danielson traps and making it into a sort of live well. catching crabs and transferring them to that pot and keeping it submerged so they stay nice and fresh, but with all the theivery that goes on i was afraid it might turn up missing. i have always thought it would be cool to have a dock on the bay with a trap door to a live well for crab, oysters, butter clams....i'm makin myself hungry again.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I thought they were regulating the size of the actual pots you crab with. That way pots that get left too long won't fill up with a bunch of crabs that have to start eating each other.

Just a guess... :shrug:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Found a washed up commercial pot once. It was full of huge keepers. Dont know how long they had been in the pot but after boiling them up and sitting down for a feast of monster dungeness, I was quickly disappointed. They tasted absolutely AWFULL! Ten crab went right into the carbage. My guess is that they hadnt eaten in a while and were living off their own tissue and fat reserves. Really nasty flavor. A holding pen sure sounds cool, but only if you live close enough to keep feeding them!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts