IFish.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
depends on where and what the tide is doing. I typically shorten my ropes to 25 feet if crabbing the main part of the bay. The water in there is 10-14 feet deep.

along the road I use the full 50.

If the tide is ripping, I use the full 50.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
35' of 5/8" diameter poly. I find the larger diameter helps to give something for my hands to grab onto when pulling.

- Joseph

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
50' will work great!

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Charles,

35 - 50 ft is just fine. Depending on where and when I will often use double bouys.

If alot of water is moving I have seen traps get swept done the middle to the mouth at times.

Call me if you want some pointers, been cvrabbing that bay for almost 20 yrs.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Use 50 feet and put a weight down the line about 15 feet to pull the rope under the surface of the water. It's a safe length to use when the tide is running fast and the weights will make the longer rope length stay away from prop's.

Have fun! Mark

·
Registered
726 Posts
I changed all my traps to leaded line and it works really good. no worry of tangle with prop or pump.bought at sportsman show last year.

mike s.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Steve and others, I have crabbed the Puget Sound but am looking forward to trying my luck down here.

Charles,

35 - 50 ft is just fine. Depending on where and when I will often use double bouys.

If alot of water is moving I have seen traps get swept done the middle to the mouth at times.

Call me if you want some pointers, been cvrabbing that bay for almost 20 yrs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts