IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading down to either 10 or Nehalem on thurs and fri and was wondering if there is anywhere around those 2 places to rent crab pots or rings. Or if there is somewhere around town I could pick them up on wed before I went that would work too. I would love to throw a few out while fishing I just don't have the bucks for buying a couple new set up's right now....unless someone want's to make me a good deal on some used ones :grin: . Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Get in touch with Gary Knowlton from this board. I have his number if you want it. He makes pots. I bought two from him last week and they are great! $55 each or 3 for $150. They really work!

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
The marina in Wheeler rents them too. It can be a pain to turn a trailer around in there.

Pretty sure I've seen a number of places around Warrenton or Hammond, also. What's the store in Hammond? Sparky's? Stinky's? Smiley's? something like that.

When you're ready to buy ... I have 2 crab traps (not for sale), one is a $70 commercial pot, one is a $17 Danielson folding trap. The big one looks cool, but the cheap one catches more crabs! I should get another - limited room on the boat though.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The pots I bought from Gary are 26" in diameter and 9" high. They have two trap doors and are made out of rebar. Very nice pots and work great. He does sale bigger ones.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have crabbed for over 50 years, both sport and commercial and have found the best pot for sport to be the Danielson. At under 20 bucks each, it is the best bang for your buck. The 20 bucks does not cover a haul-in line and float however you can rig one for about 8 bucks more.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Danielson huh? This is a pot not a ring? Seems pretty cheap compared to the ones at GI Joes($99-125). Who sells them? What do they look like?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I've used rings and the folding traps. The folding traps are normally under 20 bucks and often on sale at GIjoes for 17 bucks. They work great whether it's from a boat or dock. It helped when I purchased the little bait box that I wired to the inside of the trap. It's cost was around 5 bucks but well worth it as now I don't have to wire bait directly to trap, just open the bait box and toss the bait in and close. No muss no fuss.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I strap some flat bar steel on the bottom of the danielsons to insure they won't drag away. Last time they out performed the round traps.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I wired some rebar to the bottom, tweaked the door "hinges" to loosen them up, and twisted some pencil lead around the doors to make sure they drop. Also tie the rope to opposite corners so it will be upright while you're pulling it up.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Rimshot- Danielsons are the way to go. They are a square pot but if you get them remeber to unhook the rubberbands on the doors. I learned this one the hard way. They are good set ups and I would check bi-mart over GI Joes. The sportsmen warehouse in salem sells danielsons rings for $7.99. They are a full size ring and work good. They are a little light weight but I have never had a problem with mine in the past 4 years I have used them.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The foldable Danielsons are great for places like the Nehalem. 20 for the cage, 5 bucks for bait box, 6 bucks for rope, 5 bucks for float. Around 40 bucks to set one up well. On the Columbia tho I dont like them. I use real pots and slip pots with great success and they dont move around in the current.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sawyers landing up the bay road in newport has crab rings wrapped in rubber and come with 50' of rope and bouy for 19.95 and 24.95 if I remember and they are real nice.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Which are better the commercial rubberized rings or the square fold away types? I need to get two before Labor Day weekend to use on my new boat I bought at the boat show last weekend. Will be crabbing Hood Canal either near the bridge or by Seabeck in 50 ft of water. I know Sportco has them in Tacoma and also the red and white buoy. They don't have pictures on their website. My wife stopped by last weekend and they had a sidewalk sale. We are going to Portland and to her family reunion at Ft. Stevens this weekend. Therefore I am thinking about trying Fisherman's marine, GI Joes, somebody also mentioned Bi-Mart. I probably wont make it down to fish the Siletz or else I would check out Newport. Anything around Warrenton/Seaside? I'm dying to catch Dungeness and am happy I don't have to buy them from the reservation, Central Market, the wholesaler, or the guy up the road anymore.

[ 08-21-2003, 06:26 AM: Message edited by: Steelheadman ]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Both The jetty marina and brighton rent rings at Nehalem Bay.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Steelheadman, I prefer the rubberized pots. I have had mine for years and used the heck out of them. They still look new and the vinyl coating has not degraded. I wouldnt feel comfortable dropping a light weight Danielson cage 50 plus feet. Maybe others do it but I would feel alot more comfortable dropping a commercial style pot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts