IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the salmon are done for a while on the big river I want to turn some attention to to those lovely summer steelies.
From what I have found out on this board I think you fish the same kind of water as springers, 6'-20' deep using a dropper with a spinner or flatfish. If anyone has any other advice I sure would appreciate any input. :shrug: If I am off on the water depth let me know. I have also had some great success pulling plugs for these fish up river, does that work down in the PDX to St. Helens area too?

Thanks for the help :grin: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Shane, i am no expert but from my experience you have the key points down. I like the mouths of Cowlitz, Kalama, Sandy, or sandy beaches with gradual slope. I have not pulled plugs (warts) much but i have seen them catch fish trolling the mouths. Instead of the wire spinner i like a prawn style spinner with sand shrimp or with out. This year i am going to try smaller prawns too. You could use a spinglo instead of spinner if the current is slow. The nice thing is the bonus summer chinooks the last few years. Good luck and we'll see you out there.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Dude...Try a red/black dot U-20 with extremely sharp hooks. And be ready for more than a steelhead.
:grin:

Now hurry and go buy some before everybody gets cleaned out!!

If you fish where there's "flow" enough to spin a spinner...that #124 Flash Glo packs a mean punch too.(Forgive me, Rick) :bowdown:

I'm sure you'll keep us all posted.

Any of my fishin buddies wanna post last year's summer salmon pics here...for some "anticipation"...feel free. Takes me too long.

Good luck out there...

Mark

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Originally posted by FishinMission:
If you fish where there's "flow" enough to spin a spinner...that #124 Flash Glo packs a mean punch too.(Forgive me, Rick) :bowdown:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Saw it in action last summer... Didn't work a bit :wink: :wink: :wink: :grin:

Great tips Mark. You the man! :bowdown:

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey FM I got a few of those #124's last year when you and the bear were having your fish-off's. :grin: :grin: ****** that salmon looks like he is smiling for that pic :grin:

One of my early memories after I got my boat last year was seeing a certian blue Willie yard in fish after fish near the mouth of the Sandy. :shocked: Burned an impression in my mind I could not shake :rolleyes:

Hey ****** it's not like I am asking for your secret spots or something. Just some techniques so I can go anchor up, sit in the sun, read the paper and sip a cocktail or two till the sun starts to sink. Cant think of a much better way to spend some time on the river... :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I nailed a few on a red hot shot last year. I also hit one on a K lure, Its like a minature alvin. I anchored both in 18 feet of water.

I also "alvined" a few summer hogs too.

Good luck out there. :grin:

·
Administrator
41,375 Posts
Nooo, Rick! Not the Bonneville spot! :shocked:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
i have done pretty well w/ the mag wiggle wart in flo red at the mouth of the cowlitz w/o any lead also prawns and sand shrimp work well behind a spinner or a spin n glo in orange or green w/ a small jet diver. good luck and keep those great pictures comming :cheers: Quick Fisher

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rick I am open to any advice you want to give me or any spot you want to take me. :bowdown: :tongue: No better way to learn in my book and hopefully I can pass something on to someone else in the future :cool:

Just email me... I can pretty much be able to go any old time with a day or two notice :grin:

G

·
Hit the lower river until July. Then we will go up and slay em with plain ole' spinners.

Probably won't fish there at all Pete. :hoboy: Too many.......

[ 05-21-2003, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: ****** ]

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
My 2cents wooden nickel is the flo Red F-7 with black spots...Steelies and unexpected guests in the larger of the salmonoid species :shocked: 3'drop...4'leader...15'to 20'.

MrDorkfish

Louis

1 - 14 of 14 Posts