IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, Chummer, thank you again for the seats on Saturday for my brother and I for the sturgeon fishing. :cheers:

All in all a busy day on the river. Had a steady stream of sturgeons coming to the boat, but only one keeper.

However....

Mid day my rod goes down, and I could tell I had a good fish on. It comes relatively calmly up towards the surface, but not quite into sight. With my brother and Chummer near the other back corner of the boat, in an instant, a 10 foot sturgeon suddenly explodes out of the water, 2 feet from the back of the boat, and slams into the boat. Another bit of altitude, and the fish would have come INTO to the boat!! :shocked: Needless to say, it was a bit exciting....and the fight was on. Fought it for around 20 minutes, when the decision was made to tighten the drag just a bit. Bad idea. Plink!! Leader snaps, fish gone. So while there is no picture coming, it will be one of the more exciting fish stories for the rest of my life. We spent the rest of the day making all the Jaws references.... "Chummer, you're gonna need a bigger boat". :laugh:

Great day though. If you've never fished with Chummer, you should. And Chummer, if you're ever looking for someone to go out again, just let me know...I'd fish with you any time.

:dance:

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
Cool Texan,great story,nice to see you wetting a line.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Glad to see the trip paid off for you. 10 footer hitting the boat?!?!?!?! :shocked: That would have been awesome!

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was pretty cool...once our hearts started beating again. The thing came out of the water about a foot off the back of the boat and slammed into the back of it, VERY close to where Chummer and my brother stood. Would have been a good day to wear the brown pants. :shocked: :grin:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Yep- had that happen fishing at the new locks back a number of years (when you could fish the OS up there). This fish wasn't hooked though, he just decided to come up behind the boat and eye spy us, hit the transom and kinda bounced/slid off on the way back down. Same thing CT, if he had a little more altitude we would been sharing a 15 foot boat with a 10 plus foot fish. :shocked:
I think the fish woulda won!

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Well, good, it's not just TEXAS, where "everything's big in Texas!" :tongue: ....but it looks like OREGON even has some monster gators you can mess around with....only ours are sturgeon...

...instead of Ghar! :shocked: :grin: (sp)

Glad you had a good time~!

Brian
(fellow Texan, born in DFW) :cheers:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Congrats on the keeper :cheers: .It is so cool when a fish that size comes out of the water. Never had one that close to the boat though!!!!!!!!! Had an 8'-10' one come out of the water at Astoria in Aug. while trolling. It just kinda looked at us and slipped back under the surface. So very cool!!!

Dipnet :grin:

Team Get Bent

1 - 8 of 8 Posts