IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although we are only at about .75 of our updated impact we will only be able to fish the same four days a week below I5, until 4/26. Big meeting on Monday, they do want to close us next week. They are going to have to "correct" for in season overages. That reads, to many fish caught by the netters!

Let's Go Fish! Even if it is limited!

·
Administrator
41,360 Posts
The Columbia River Compact sets the Columbia seasons. From their April 15th notice, "The next Joint State Sport hearing to update spring chinook stock status, review ongoing
spring chinook sport fishery, and consider modifications to the ongoing sport fishery will
occur via telephone at 10 am Tuesday April 22."

Expect to hear offical notice later today on their decision.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Monoman,

Are you suggesting sport fishermen take fish even when the season is closed by the biologists?

Consider that:

1. The salmon have only recovered enough to have a Spring Chinook season 4 times in the last 25 years.

2. Would you sacrafice a few fish this season and have them close down Spring Chinook for the next 25 years?

If they shut it down tomorrow we've had a 6 weeks of a fun Spring Chinook season.

If they shut it down tomorrow we still have 6 weeks of fun Spring Chinook fishing on the Willamette, Sandy etc.

Fishermen have to take the lead in being smart and pro-active regarding salmon. If fishermen are going to be shortsighted and selfish about salmon, how can you expect the agricultural companies, dam owners, timber companies, polluters, developers etc. to give a hoot or obey the laws to help salmon?

Me...I want smart, conservative (as in pro-fish) management and I want Spring Chinook seasons to continue.

Brion

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Brion,
I have to agree with you on this one. I have yet to get my first springer this year, but have been able to enjoy the outdoors in search of them. I for one would rather be somewhat conservative and enjoy fishing for these fish for many years to come.

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Just heard from ODFW that we're on another week. They wouldn't sy anything about next week. They will re ***** it next week.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Monoman is correct we are done as of monday. We got hosed because of over harvest by the nets. So much for uninterupted fishery on the CR....

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BL
What do you do for a living!
I would never suggest fishing when the law says you can't. Let's go fish, means just that, Let's go fish.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Monoman,

Let's Go Fish! Even if it is limited!
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">That's why I asked if you meant we should keep fishing even if the limits set by the biologits have been met.

What do you do for a living!
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">What does that have to do with the price of eggs in China? Probably the same as you since I'm on the internet on "work time" <grin>.

Listened to Tim Wadsworth, head of Disney Internet ventures, last week. He noted that traffic on the Disney web sites spiked on Monday as folks get to work and schools and get their hands on high speed web access vs. doing their "school work".

Brion

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Impacts!
The total impact will be reached before the sportsmen have reached their agreed upon impact. The season will close for everybody at that time. No one should demand more, this would go againist the science of the impacts.

What should be demanded is the division of the impact as stated. We as sports, have not gone over our impacts to any degree, yet. Never!

Others have, this impacts you, and many who have spent money depending on the sports share of an impact. Ask the guys at the boat ramp below the dam just how their season is going.

·
Registered
17,002 Posts
Once again (and again, and again, and again) recreational anglers get shafted, totally due to allowing hobbyists (posing as commercial businesses)to use non-selective techniques - gillnets.

When you see the Columbia between St.Helens and Kelley Point filled with hundreds of boats and thousands of anglers, you can imagine the millions of dollars trading hands because of this opportunity.

It was great while it lasted and I'm thankful that for another year we got to experience springer fishing on the Columbia. It's only unfortunate that the net fishery causes so much impact for the benefit of so very few. :depressed:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts