IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
How is the dredging project going? Is the basin entry blocked at any time and is there plenty of room on the long dock to tie up? I have a slip in the Warrenton Marina but sometimes dock at Hammond for a while in the off season.

Thanks! I suppose I could drive out there and look....

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Can you crab from Social Security beach?
This time of year, if you pick a mild incoming tide, you can get close to/limits on the upriver part of SS beach. Remember you can run 3 crab snares/traps per person so bring some sand spike rod holders and rotate 3 and you'll do well usually. If using snares I'd have a net and waders as crabs can tend to get free at the last second reeling them in and you'll get more by netting them in the shallows if they fall off beaching them. Oh and get some good bait.

But a guided trip is also money in the bank especially if you try to buy crab.

·
Vendor
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I cooked 108 crab today for a group of guys out here from Utah as part of a Delta Waterfowl event. I got to sample some crab as we ate and told stories. Those Delta guys are good people, and now my son is planning to be at their youth event next fall.

The quality of people sharing crab and smoked salmon around a crab cooker is what this world needs way more of.

·
Vendor
5,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, weather and tides look great this weekend. I have tuna carcasses (best crab bait around), and we expect to cook 1000 crab this weekend.

The few boats braving conditions have been doing very well. It is primetime for crabbing. Come and get em.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts