IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great week of fishing. The fish are coming in hard now is the time to get them!

Took the week off for some salmon fishing. Tuesday was the “Clown Frown” day with my team “Baby Arm” boys. We tolled the channel and went 3-6.

Wednesday I anchored up on the CR around Bachelor Island with my good buddy Spina he had one monster hit and a miss other than that it was pretty dead. Poor Spina he has fished about 100 hours for Springers and came up empty handed. Little did he know his luck would soon change…

Thursday I went out by myself with my trusty fishing pup Willow. Once again I anchored off Bachelor Island fishing Kwikfish. Got out there at the crack of 11 AM since this was my third day in a row. I was not in the water 20 minutes with my trusty plug “Old Reliable” when I had my first pound down. Fish never really took the plug so back she went. About 20 min later I get another huge hit and fish on. I did not drop off since I was by myself and no one was fishing around me. This fish fought strong and hard. On his third run from my boat he the line crossed into a feed/burlap bag floating down the river. Great now I am fighting a fish by myself with a 5lb bag hooked to the weed guard/lead line. I finally managed to net the bag and the fish all by myself! Here is the fish.

Here is the bag!

What kind of jerk would throw that in the water? I ended up getting one more nate that I released without a picture as there was only one point in it and it was easy to release without netting. 2-3 not bad for by myself, did I mention there was no one around

I guess everyone is chasing fish up in OC???

Today I got out on the water with Chris (FishinXTC) and I picked Spina up at the dock a little later. Chris and I get out to Bachelor Island again and I get a fish within 30 minutes on “Old Reliable”. Get it all the way to the boat and just as I let out my victory scream it came off… Dang!

After about an hour Chris and I start to catch a little shuteye and in my dream I hear my reel screaming. I jump up and the rod is buried. XTC is still sawing wood! I set the hook and bam “Old Reliable” brings me this little beauty.

Just then Spina calls us to pick him up at the dock and sure enough the bite is in full swing. In five minutes the other 10 boats within eyesight (did I mention there was no one there) start waving their nets. Man was the bite hot.

We get back out and anchor up and not long after Chris gets this nice nate.

A while later it was finally Spina’s turn. He all of a sudden jumps up and runs to his rod without a word. Spina is actually a cracker disguised as a man so Chris and I did not think much of it but then we saw his rod bucking. Spina set the hook like a champ and fought the fish to the boat. The fish took 3 hard runs. Just as it is ready to succumb a 500lb seal comes up to take a stab at the fish and missed. Chris and I are yelling at Spina to reel but too late seal gets his fish. This being Spina’s first chance at a springer after 100 hrs on the water we gave chase, first with the kicker then with the jet. We chased that fish for about 1.5 miles. The seal barely had the tail of the fish in its mouth. Here is a picture of Spina fighting a 15 lb salmon attached to a 500 lb seal!

Finally the seal decided to let go of that fish. When he did Chris was all over it like white on rice with the net and Spina got his first spring salmon ever. Man did the fishing God’s ever want to hold onto that one but we finally got him!

All in all a great 4 days of fishing. My boat was 9-15. For trolling on Tuesday we used blue and green plug cut with fish flashes at anywhere from 7-12 pulls and 6 oz of weight. The rest of the fish came on anchor fishing sardine wrapped Kwikfish. The hot scent seemed to be a mix of Sardine and Anise or Anise and Shrimp. Old reliable came through for me again going 3-5 with two other drive-by hits in two days. I have to look at my log but I think that one plug is responsible for over 25 fish this Spring.

If you are headed out tomorrow you might want to consider the CR because there are definitely some fish moving through again. Me… I am off the water this weekend cooking up some fish! By the way it was real nice meeting Terry H on Tuesday and Gun Rod and Bow today at the take out.

Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
:bowdown:

Love to break the jinx!

The Willamette is muddying up big time. Might be time for a return visit downriver...

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Thanks for the report Shane. Spina's fish is a hefty one. looks like you enjoyed some nice weather too.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I didn't think your fishing buddy would ever get his springer. Glad to see your week went well. I hope to get out next for a day or two.

See ya on the water.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Good to see some pictures. Now I need to get out there and take a stab at them. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow, but Sunday I will get after them.

The Clown Frown is you friend.

·
Registered
16,998 Posts
After we saw you, your meal-deprived sea lion visited us as we were putting what we thought were the finishing touches on an 18# clippee.

The battle was renewed with vigor, the 'nook making a burning run to deeper water, the sealion in hot pursuit and finally us, on the trolling motor, chasing both. It was an epic seesaw struggle - fish on, seal on, seal off, fish-off?, ...nope still there. Finally, all I wanted was to get back my own version of 'ol Reliable.

A combination of running circles around him and curses prompted him to let go and we did eventually net the somewhat tattered clipped fin.

Last we saw, he was headed back toward your location.

K15 w/sardine wrap, 16' of water, 24" dropper.

See ya tommorow!

[ 04-25-2003, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: garyk ]

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Nice pic's 'cept for the one. Sure hate to see native fish held up for a pic. Don't even like to see them handled. Sorry to be negative, but I would have taken your word for it without the pic.

Dan

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gary were you fishing below is in that "spot"... I think it was a tri-hull? If so how funny that fat old seal got his twice :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
16,998 Posts
No, that wasn't us in the tri-hull.

When we came by, and sign-languaged with your passenger, you were in a stealthy head-back, mouth open pose, obviously trying to fool the fish into thinking that you were asleep and therefore safe to take a grab of the tastey sardine/shrimp K-sandwich.

(Actually, with the closed curtains and unconcious crew, at first I thought we were looking at heater-induced CO poisoning. But then when your passenger was able to motion, we realized it was all a ruse)

Then we headed upstream so as not to disturb your clever strategy.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gary,

Don't knock it that ploy really works. Got two fish to bite yesterday when I was... ummmm... pertending to sleep! :wink: Hey 4 days in a row makes a guy tired :shrug:

That seal also took a fish from the bankies. Needless to say he got theirs. He was a busy boy!

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Where's the Clown frown?

Good job guys. I would have gone out there but I was just itching to use some eggs.

We'll give it hell next week, I'll be concentrating on my honey do list for the next couple of days.

Get some rest Bros.

Bobby

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Nice going Shane! You always put together great posts with pics. Makes me think that there really is fish in dem dare wadders! Maybe I will be like Spina and get my first before they shut down the river :grin:

·
Registered
209 Posts
fish gods were happy with you guys that day!! nice fish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts