IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how the crabbing is out of Hammond ? And can you catch and keep Sturgeon down there or is it closed .
Thanks..........Big Dave.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
Closed, I think there is a thread about the closure posted a few days ago. As for the crab, I have'nt been out but I'd say from here on out it should only getter beeter as the water cools. I start hitting it in oct.
good luck!
GBS

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
oh, another word of caution. If you plan to drop pots, leave and fish, be careful. Theives love to steal traps in that area. I never leave my pots far from sight, always rotating to check and check for crab. Have'nt lost any pots yet, but many guys do.
Just food for thought!
GBS

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi,

I have always crabbed in TB or NB but would like to try the CR this fall/winter. Any tips on where to launch(any free spots) and where to drop the pots. I assume the best time is about mid to high tide. Anything to watchout for besides keeping an eye on your pots :wink: ?

Thanks a lot...........if4f

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ifish4fun,........... I will tell you my secret spot but you got to swear not to tell anyone. Drive to Hammond boat launch in Oregon, it is SW of Astoria Or. head down to the boat launch, it is about $5 to launch but you get to take out for free ! Head out of the boat harbor and hang a left, go West approx. 1/4 mile or until you are even with a big red can marker that will be on your right, kind of angle off to your left and put your pots down and then load up your shot gun and watch yer pots, if they are not weighted they tend to walk off to Japan (darn pot theives)
I'm only kidding about this being a secret spot every one in this community knows about this place, but it is a good spot and has never let me down, problem is that this time of year you can still pick up a lot of soft shells so make sure you put them back even if they are of legal size they will not have any meat in them. That is why I asked if anyone has been down there. Tons of good info on this site and tons of good fishing people !
Have fun, maybe I will see you down there this week end, I have a 16' Arima called "Old Bill"
Big Dave.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks Big Dave,

I was near that red can over labor day fishing for salmon(picked up 4 salmon in bout 40min about 100 yards into the channel from the can) and know were it is. I will have to give it a try. Thanks for the pointers :smile: .

Regards,
if4f

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I went about 3 weeks ago. Got 32. Some were a little soft, but not bad.
Good advice from the greenbuttskunk. Keep an eye on your pots. Not only is there a theft problem, the outgoing tide really rips. Speaking of that, once your pot buoys start pointing toward Asia, pull 'em and get outta there. You'll be wasting your time trying to crab after high slack. Been there, done that.
Most people go to the previously described area or out to buoy 20 or 22. Try to stay in 35' of water or less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts