IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We caught several fish (both coho and nooks) this past weekend on the 3.5 inch coyote spoons. They took a beating and were really bent up by days end. One cracked when I tried to bend it back in shape again, so it got tossed at days end. :mad: I have taken a new one and added a swivel to the split ring and then put the hook back on.

Has anyone tried this? Or am I way behind the ball and everyone has been doing it to save the spoons from bending so bad?

SD

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Are you guys using the stock hooks on these lures? I just picked some up and the hooks look a little light (needed to preserve action?).

Anybody fishing the 4" or 5"?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
We used the 3.5" right out of the box with no modifications and watched em out-fish the herring. :shocked:

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was using the hooks they came with and that wasn't the problem. They caught fish, but got bent out of shape very easily. That's why I thought adding a swivel between the slip ring and the hook might help save the spoon.

I do have several larger Coyote spoons, but on Saturday and Sunday the smaller (3.5) ones in orange/silver fishscale caught several fish.

I was in Englund Marine in Newport yesterday and they were completely sold out in that size and finish, so the word must be out on them.

SD

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
The only modification I do is to pinch the barb down if I'm in the ocean. :wink: Half nickle/char and nickle/green caught us a few fish Sunday.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Blue and chrome has been my best.

A lot of time they work as good or better than bait. It's also easy to release unclipped fish from them, a 50# leader helps in that too, just grab the line and you never have to net the fish.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
anybody ever try an alvin in the ocean? i was thinking they might have similar action to the coyote. just a thought. but maybe smaller is better.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
A Coyote spoon is a... Coyote spoon. :grin:

It put two coho in Diamondback's boat Sunday and one wild coho that never saw a net or left the water and was released unharmed.

I was told by the Luhr Jenson rep (Randy) two years ago that the 3.5 chartreuse/fishscale was really hot for coho.

I got the Depoe Bay charters using them and the rest is history.

Yet to be skunked on them, yet!

Here's a Salty Dogs link about coyote spoons:

http://www.ifish.net/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=21&t=002082#000025

Got Fish,

No an Alvin and Brad's Wobbler are wobblers and are much larger than a coyote. I'll post a pic of a coyote tomorrow.

fishing is life,

I gave one of the local boys a red tipped Brad's Wobbler two years ago and he caught several chinook on it out in the salt. They work there also.

Dan

Day 10

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Well, it's tomorrow I guess. :shrug:

The one on the left is a Brad's Wobbler in it's original packaging from when Brad used to assemble and package them at home.

There is a coyote in it's package (with fishscale) and one above it still attached to the easy diver that I used to catch 2 chinook on the Sea Jypzee and 2 coho on Diamondback's boat out of Charleston and I believe it is the same one I used to catch coho on Love2fish's boat.

Notice how the fishscale tape is missing on that one. But it still caught fish on Nancy's and Stuart's boat.

The one I used to catch coho's on Brad's (UG) boat was all bent up and I kept straighting it out and it still kept catching fish and I left it on Brad's boat for him. (Maybe he'll catch a tuna with it).

No need to change hooks, no need for scent or bait, just crimp the barb and catch some fish.

I have found it is easy to release the wild ones in the water with a gaff and a dowell with a "cup hook" would probably be easier yet.

Help 'em make it to the spawning beds.

Dan

Day 11

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Anyone notice the metal on the coyote spoons is thinner this year. I sure have. They do bend way easy. Did not have this problem last year.

Blue and chrome and the chartruse with scale are hot this year. But if you ask Ramstrong, the green hootchie skirt with a chunk of herring on it gets hammered.

·
Registered
814 Posts
---A parody by Ragnar---

Good Day Eh... and welcome to day 10 of the Coyote Spoon Challenge. I'm your host Ragnar and I'm sitting here with our Guest host Depoe Bay Dan, a local hometown rags-to-riches Cinderella story and ifish's favored to win. Dan has recently come from behind toppling uncermountable odds to be up there with the top 10%. How does he do it folks? Some how he finds the strength each day to go out there and consistantly do it. Truely a man of true grit! (Mmmmmm grrrrritttttttts..............drool)

It's shaping up to be another fine year for the fishing here at the Salty Pro-AM and once again coyote spoons are accounting for large amounts of fish being caught. Now would certainly be good timing to invest in Luhr Jensen stock huh?
This year the Chart-fish scale seems to be the go to color, when in years past it was the chrome and metallic green, chrome and metallic blue, chrome and chat/green (mongoose), chrome with blue stipes and chart tip (trapper) or the metallic purple with chart stripes and chart tip (funky chicken). And what about the wonder bread color? What is to become of that?
Hey, and speaking of funky chickens and wonder bread...... The funniest thing happened to me on the way to the competition today...... You'll never believe this, but...............
Blah blah blah, and hope to see you all again next year for day 375.
10 days and counting... Good job Dan.
Peace,
Ragnar

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Thanks for the pic - Depoe Bay Dan! I've never tried the Coyote but I took a guy on the boat a few years ago who tried one all morning and got nary a strike near the CR bouy while we limited on bait. Looks like I need to give them a try again and I might do it this weekend out of Newport. I have a question though - what is that little one inch black thing between the swivel on your diver and the swivel on your leader? It almost looks like a piece of rubber?

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Good for you willierower! David Johnson (guide) has mentioned using 40 or 50 pound test for the same reason.

I'm just going to stick with the 20 pound test since it is working for me. I'm sure they are not leader shy out there however.

Try that gaff method. Just slide the gaff down the leader until the gaff gets to the hook and invert ( pull the upper part of the leader above the gaff down and at the same time raise the gaff up). This raises the fish up to where it starts coming out of the water and the hook pulls free. Then you don’t have to bend over and get close to the water (difficult to do on some larger boats) and you don’t have to get your hand close to the hook that’s imbedded in a wily fish.

Works really slick and as I said earlier, a dowel with a screw in cup holder (hook) would no doubt work even easier.

I’m going to build me one for the next opportunity and try it.

A video of a salmon being released with a “de-hooker” on the WDFW site that only takes a minute to download with 56k or a few seconds with cable. Also instructions on how to build one.

http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/fish/selective/techniques/releasing_salmon.htm

I’m going to see about making my own video of releasing wild coho in the salt with both the gaff method and the de-hooker.

Dan

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
By the way willierower,

I found the hardest part of releasing the non finclipped ones is identifying the fin or lack of in the water.

Sometimes you see what you need to see right a way and sometimes you don't.

Haven't lost a fish yet (hatchery or wild) while trying to identify them though.

I've disciplined myself now and it really doesn't matter and I would rather loose a coho than to net a wild one.

See ya on the Kalama this fall!

Dano

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Coyote spoons have been the rage up in Puget Sound for several years now....they have a very large following up there for one simple reason: They work!

HC

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
I use coyotes in both Puget Sound and the COlumbia, down around Astoria. They are now one of my two go to baits, the other being herring. I like the green/luminous (what some of us call the army truck), the cop car, and chartreuese. 3.5's and 4's work well for me. Haven't had any problems with the hooks or bending too much, though a big chinook on heavy will definitely fry them.

Somedays in the sound they are so effective on the small chinooks, that you have to take them off. The 15 inchers sometimes just won't leave them alone.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Depoe Bay Dan, that release method makes a whole lot of sense. Thanks for sharing your idea. I am gonna make one of those soon. Hope all is well. Thanks for the info on the Brad's, i figured somebody had tried it at one time but prob not the most effective lure out there.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts