IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out on the big blue Saturday used a diver with fish flash and herring with a roto clip,,, 4 take downs and 4 fish to the boat (1 10 lb. keeper) Switched to a Coyote spoon 4 more take downs and lost all 4 of them , could not keep them on , after the third one I changed to a bigger hook next takedown fish got away..

My question is ,,, is there a secret to hooking fish on the spoons and keeping them on?????? I use a heavy, heavy surgical tube snubber between diver and flasher (2 swivils, 1 ft of tube and 2 feet of 80Lb tuf line) WHAT AM I DOING WRONG with the spoons????? HELP HELP???

SNUBBER was used with herring and spoon.
DAB

[ 07-28-2003, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: DAB ]

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Here's my hypothesis so someone else can prove me wrong, it's just a guess. I'm thinking the snubber might prevent you from getting positive hooksets with the siwash style hooks, as oposed to the octupus style hooks on a rotary rig. My suggestion, try the coyote without the snubber.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I agree. The snubber is only needed for soft mouthed fish like kokanee or if you're using too stiff a rod... If you're using a long limberish rod, the rod should provide all the needed backload to keep the hook buried. The snubber may be ging the silver too much slack.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Get rid of the snubber...my friends up in Washington use 40 pound test between flasher and spoon and they hammer fish on those coyotes.

HC

·
Registered
301 Posts
Here's something else you might try in addition to the good advice above:

Buy some #10 black barrel swivels and some 2/0 Gamakatsu open-end siwash hooks. Remove the stock siwash on the Coyote and attach the barrel swivel to the remaining split ring. If there isn't a split ring, cut off the soldered ring and attach one. Now crimp your Gami siwash to the other end of the barrel swivel. This allows the hook to spin freely when the silvers are doing their "roll" and they won't be able to leverage the hook out.

I've used this technique with much success at Sekiu and Neah Bay here in Washington.

Good luck to you. :smile:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Loose the snubber. Set the hook. Switching to Gamakatsu is usually good advice too.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
4Salt is right on the $. We have changed hooks on ours and added a swivel between split ring and hook. This also keeps the spoon from getting bent up, as they are made out of pretty light metal.

The snubber is probably your biggest problem and I would get rid of it.

.02 SD

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, OK, OK, I will get rid of the snubber and I will use a swivel and change hooks ... my rod might be a little stiff it is a 9Ft lammiglass rated 15 to 40 lb. test Line. Darn good rod for nooks. Hey this gives me a reason to get a new rod :dance: :laugh: Thanks for the help....
DAB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts