IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had much luck using Coyotes in the Buoy 10 area? We had great luck with them at Newport in the ocean, but I haven't tried them inside the bay. Any information would be much appreciated.
NS

·
Registered
675 Posts
They do work in the river and for both Silvers and Chinook. Make sure to change the hooks and add an extra split ring.

I actually leave the regular split ring, barrel swivel on a good si-wash and it works great.

Tight Lines

PS it is hard to beat purple label for quality fish.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I used them yesterday and today with mixed results. Yesterday I released 1 native, kept 1 chinook, and lost several silvers on a coyote. Today I couldn't get a bite on one. Got one silver yesterday and one today on a RSK.

love2fish

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
what size replacement hooks do you use?would number four swish be to big? thanks

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Another question for you coyote users...several of you reported that they worked well as long as the reflective tape was on.

What side of the spoon are you putting the tape on the green and blue ones that you said you where using.

Thanks.

Giz...

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Giz- I've caught a few fish on the coyotes, but have only fished them for about an half an hour. However, I tried the blue and nickel one first, caught two fish and two missed, then switched to the chartreuse one with tape, and got nothing, the fish weren't as thick there, but I don't think you NEED tape, just some already have it. TOC

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd never used one until yesterday. I got tired of silvers stripping the herring off my hooks with no hook ups. I took a silver and blue coyote out of the package, tied it on, let my line out 18 pulls, put the rod in the holder and BLAM. My rod buries within seconds of it being in the water and I caught a chinook . This was on the Washington side between Ilwaco and Chinook. I was amazed. Those things actually work!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I fished Skipannon to Chinook the last 7 days and the coyotes out-performed herring 3-1. Especially nice when you get hits and the diver gets tripped.
You don't have to worry about whether or not your bait has been stripped.

I fished them right out of the package. We were banging Chinook's when none of the other boats were hooking up. My wife boated a 40#, 30#, and 25# last Saturday at the Sawdust Pile on Coyotes and backed it up Wed with 2-25#'ers, five minutes apart.

They really do work !

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sometimes too well...

I caught an 8" Steelhead smolt through the gills on Friday. :depressed: So far coyotes have amounted for a few, but herring is still outperforming for me...

·
Registered
9 Posts
We used the green and nickel coyote 4.0 behind a dodger at Sekui last year and slammed them. Of course, the fishing was so good some guys were saying you could use anything and I kind of believe them. They were outperforming our herring and you didn't have to worry about fishing with empty hooks after a hit.

G

·
I have used them on Klamath Lake trout and they work there too. I've also had good results on cohoo and large trout with a light troling spoon manufactured by Lip Ripper Tackle Co.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Parthur: how are you rigging up. Diver?. Flasher? how much leader...etc.

Giz...

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Every Coyote I've ever seen has been running to fast for me to get him on a hook!!! :grin:

sorry, I couldn't resist

1 - 14 of 14 Posts