IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent last weekend fishing out of Ilwaco. We had great luck using these spoons. The problem was with the hooks, they seemed to bend out real easy and several fish were lost due to this. Has any one else noticed this problem? What did you do to remedy the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
How about putting on a stouter gauge hook. :smile:

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Or loosen the drag. :wink:

I've never had a problem with the stock hooks. I'm sure a gamakatsu in similar size would work, and maybe give you a bit more confidence. But I'd seriously think about maybe lightening the drag a scootch, first. I've never bent one of these, using 50 lb tuff line and 40 lb leaders.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
And how 'bout a little info on what color and size, precisely, have these rubber hooks? :wink:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
I've been using the same old coyote throughout the season and have to rebend the spoon almost after every fish.

Stock hook has put many fish in 5 or 6 different ifisher's boats and grabbed a bunch of wild fish also.

No problems with the hook but I wasn't catching 40 or 50 pounders either.

Dan

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Since the stock hooks aren't all that sharp or high quality, and for coho season you have to use barbless hooks, I replaced the hooks with brand name barbless siwash hooks. You might need to replace the split ring at the same time.

As for what I was using, Coyote Spoons 3.5. Silver finish on one side, green and white on the other, although from what the others were using in the boat, it appears that just about any color would work that was shiny.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Where do you buy Coyote Spoons?

SKP
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">At the coyote spoon store, of course :grin:

I got mine at Fisherman's Marine

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We managed to get quite a few in the boat. We were using the half green half silver and the black and white ones. We used the 3.5 and 5.0 size.

The drag may have been set tight because we were using them with a diver and flasher. I still did not think that they should be bending like they were. I had to bend them back after every fish. Who makes a stouter hook and will that effect the action of the spoon? What size are they?

They definitely performed as well if not better than the bait. We managed one 30lber on the 3.5 green/white one.

It was my sisters first weekend salmon fishing and she had the hot rod and the big fish.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
jb,

Here is how I set mine up:

Double Deep Six Diver - 18" line - 00 or 0 silver dodger - 36-48" line - 3.5 coyote spoon

I set the drag light enough that the fish won't break the line at initial strike, but tight enough that it will pull the diver/dodger combo. I run 30 lb main line and 20 on the leader from the dodger to the spoon.

GI Joes at Jantzen beach has a nice selection of coyote spoons (or did).

I pull the stock split ring and hook off and replace the hook with either a Gammy or Owner barbless siwash hook that is very close to the same size as the stock hook. I'd tell you the size and brand, but I can't remember right off. At the same time, I replace the split ring with a slightly larger ring. I find that the stock ring is a little small and hard to work with.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
i dont own a coyote spoon.....but any hook i have problems with, the hook gets changed quickly.

let my suggest 3 hooks in no particular order

owner
owner
owner

and if u want si wash hooks i dont think owner makes them try gami's

[ 08-22-2003, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: husker ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts