IFish.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No pics. Just a question.... What would make a cougar stalk a hunter while in the wild?? Anything in particular? Do they like the smell of personal hygiene items? Or do they get afraid that you may be invading their area? What exactly does a cougar think when you are in the woods hunting and why would they be so curious as to "stalk you"?? If there is one, other than shoot it (I pack when I'm bowhunting), what other things may scare it off. I know bears tend to be a bit more shy. I've come across one while scouting and it ran away. I don't have a tag, so would it be legal for me to kill in self defense? Thanks everyone.

Archer1000

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
UHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMM Dinner :bigshock::bigshock::bigshock::bigshock:,just like when you seea Deer/Elk you check it out ,they just have unlimited tags :passout::passout::passout::bigshock:,and look at any thing ,that might be on the menu,the tags are avilable until Dec 2007

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been in the woods for a long time, hunting, scouting, etc.. Just wondering if they are really big stalkers on people if you are in their area? I have never come across a "cat" except while driving through the woods. The Diesel engine made that sucker leap so far, there was no way to even get a shot at it (my buddy had a cat tag and a rifle), it was Long Gone!! What would you do if you turned around and caught a glimpse of a cat on your tail????

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
Pull out my trusty Smith and Wesson Cougar spray .... ,I had an animal follow me out of the wood`s at night last year ,I have been very counscience since that ,tonight ,I kept looking over my shoulder ,to check ,I know there is atleast one cougar and several Bears by my house :bigshock::bigshock::bigshock::bigshock:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pack my Ruger GP100 .357M Don't have a problem un-holstering that. :food: Are they as timid as a bear is in the wild? Don't like hiking out of the woods at night either LOL I'll do it if I have to (obviously).

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
No pics. Just a question.... What would make a cougar stalk a hunter while in the wild?? Anything in particular?
I'm not expert, but I would assume as a top predator. Everything else is a potential meal. Especially if your sounding like a cow or calf elk.

I don't have a tag, so would it be legal for me to kill in self defense? Thanks everyone.Archer1000
I would assume self defense is gonna be hard to prove unless you have scratches. Statistically speaking you have a better chance of being attacked by a deer than a cougar or bear.Secondly, if I'm not mistaken, you can buy a cougar tag over the counter any time during the season. So if your fictional self defense scenario should occur, you can probably buy a tag after the fact if need by. I fully expect to get flamed for that statement, but since a cougar is the one animal in Oregon you don't actually have to consume. I don't see a problem.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Cougars are like house cats.. the seek movement... IF your running down a trail.. it willl key in on you. Or if walking hiking.. They tend to shadow you, like a house cat.

Ever hear a house cat?. They have the art of stealth.

Your chance of being attacked by either a meth monkey or Cougar.. I would say Meth monkey.

Just watch your tail, keep your ears perked to sounds that are not normal.

Go buy a cat tag, Just in case:food:.

Fear the Two legged creature.. The animal world is safe.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good. Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated. Guess I'll hit the Big 5 for a tag before I head for the hills tomorrow evening. I guess it's always a good idea anyways, just in case, eh? Might have a cat to show on here someday, and a hella story to tell. LOL I like the suggestions and the feedback. Thanks again.

Archer

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Back when it wasn't legal to carry while bowhunting I spent 10 days in the winaha/tecanun wilderness hunting Elk.
It was very unnerving to find cat tracks daily while hunting and finding two fresh Elk kills. I wonder how many times I was stalked or checked out during those ten days and never knew it.
I had a close incounter with a bobcat once where I inadvertantly had it cornered. I was amased at how it could move without any sound except for the growls that kept changing locations in front of me at about 15 to 20 ft.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I suspect that if the elk and deer are plenty you will likely not be the preferred prey... cats will tend to go for something less threatening than an adult male human... usually. :)

M

Back when it wasn't legal to carry while bowhunting I spent 10 days in the winaha/tecanun wilderness hunting Elk.
It was very unnerving to find cat tracks daily while hunting and finding two fresh Elk kills. I wonder how many times I was stalked or checked out during those ten days and never knew it.
I had a close incounter with a bobcat once where I inadvertantly had it cornered. I was amased at how it could move without any sound except for the growls that kept changing locations in front of me at about 15 to 20 ft.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would not want to kill just to kill, but if I see one following me a little too close.... I wouldnt hesitate. I agree, they are gonna prey on natural before us, but I carry the side arm just in case.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I would not want to kill just to kill, but if I see one following me a little too close.... I wouldnt hesitate. I agree, they are gonna prey on natural before us, but I carry the side arm just in case.
ever seen video of a cat attack? I'd hate to say it, you most likely won't know what happened. They can leap 15 feet and damn near weigh as much as most men. Now what I'd hope for is.. a young one that is less experienced in killing.. GRIN...:smile:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Get a tag before you head out.

If you have it you'll never need it. When you don't have one, that's when they show up. I think they can smell the ink.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts