IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the consensus on these? They are $25-50 less than Les Schwab and Sears. So how do Costco's brand stack up to what Schwab and Sears sell?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I figure it good to support the local economy and Johnson Controls makes the batteries for Sears and Lester, right over in Canby Or. I'm not sure who makes NAPA or Costco? Could be JCI as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I work in a Costco tire shop and Yes all our batteries are made by Johnson Controls!! They are great batteries and we get more returns of the optima's then the kirkland ones. We usually cant keep most of the batteries on the shelf and sell out quite often so I do recommend calling first to make sure we have them in stock

Oh and a common miss conception is that optima batteries ARE NOT gel cell batteries! They are an Absorbent Glass-Mat Separator (AGMS)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
There are only two major amican battery manufacturers. JCI is by far the largest. Specifications vary from brand to beand but by in large... unless you are buying a cheap asian battery, batteries with the same rating are likely to be nearly identical so buy based on price and warranty.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input everyone. I haven't had time to get one yet, but it will either be tonight or tomorrow night and I'll be getting it at Costco.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have used Costco vehicle batteries for all of my replacements over many years. They have all been excellent and lasted at least 1 or 2 years longer than the warranty.

I was made fun of a few times when they used to have an Eveready label...

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Standard battery is the other major producer. Les Shwab, Joes, Fred Meyer, etc... sell this brand. They are just relabeled per retailer and all made in the U.S.A.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts