IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had two 5 pound zincs welded onto my stern this morning. Had no idea what would be an appropriate charge for this. These zincs are huge in comparison to what was originally installed and I am very pleased with the work. Took the guy about 15 minutes to prepare the surface and then weld them on. So what do you think I should have paid for this? Give me some idea of what I should have paid and then I'll tell you what I did pay.

p.s. I asked them why they weld them on and was told that they had "gotten away from bolt ons" because they were less efficient (?). They weld them on all their new boats now. I asked them how people are replaceing them then and the shop mechanic said that in the past 3 yrs of doing it this way they hadnt replaced a single set.

[ 05-02-2003, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: TundraIII ]

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I'd say $50 - however I'm curious as to why you had them welded on - how do you then replace them when they wear out? I put new zincs on my transom every year - two of them about 10 inches long cost me $8 a piece.

·
Registered
13,282 Posts
I bought a chunk of zinc at fishermans marine about 4 by 6 by 1 inch for around $16. Assuming this is around what you paid per piece, I would guess $32 for the material and $50 for the minimum shop charge, I am gonna go with $82. I hope you got a kiss with that. :wink:

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
Somewhere between 25 and 629 bucks.

I am in the middle of dealing with waaaay to many outboard shops right now. The only thing I have learned is, they will charge you whatever they want to, and it will vary by more than 300% from shop to shop.Most of them refuse to even give you an estimate even after being told what I want them to do. Will post along the lines of " As the impeller does not turn" when it all blows over.

I honestly think that you could get that done for 125 or less.

Boat= Break Out Another Thousand.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
TundraIII, have you decided to keep that beautiful boat and fish it through summer? I hope so because you will not find another as clean and set up the way you want it.
Now for the zink, Roy must be close as shops will charge a minimum for labor but I would guess they charged about $70 labor and maybe another $25 for that hunk of zink. $95 is my quess.

Tell us where to buy them as I will need a couple to have installed also. I will be out in the Salt with the rest of you but not as often.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
472 Posts
Been thinking about doing this for a while now. Where & how much? If its reasonable I'll bite. let us know if your satisfied with the work.
Walker

[ 06-19-2003, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Streetwalker ]

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Snapshot, you are right on the money, ouch! They did cut me 6 feet of diamond plate and then custom cut and shaped it in three pieces for my bow just below the windshields for an additional 30 bucks. So overall I think I did ok I guess. The zincs are huge. I now have approx. 11.5 pounds of zinc on this boat now, I think I'm covered! :grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts