IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my Opinion ! No they are not a good reel. The drag has to be checked and rechecked all the
time and the Bailer often derails, right in the middle of fighting a fish. I have heard other people complain about he drag but I seem to be the only one with a problem derailing that I know of.

The drag tension will change on you while you are fishing and constantly has to be reset.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
You should try using the extremely helpful but woefully under-used 'Search' function. Search for the word 'Corsair' and you will find more info than you can imagine. Might even go into the 2002 and 2001 archives for even more info.

Again, my two cents - save you money and buy something else.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
If money is a factor please do yourself a favor and pick up a new or ebay used Garcia 5500 or 6500. Reliable, easy to service. Max $65 on sale.

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
Microfish,I own four Calcuttas two 251s and two 50s. These are quality fishing reels,well worth the extra bucks. They are truely liftime reels,that can be handed down to the next generation of fishers in your family.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I bought a Corsair at Joe's day after Thanksgiving sale for $29.99. I figured for that price it could be a throw away. I like the reel. I've caught several salmon with it and have had NO trouble. The only complaint I have is it does not cast light lures very well. Can you say "backlash." Just hasn't got the adjustment capability. I don't think I would pay $70.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I love my corsair 400, works great. I also own 5 abus and the corsair for me is much smoother. Shimanos did have some serious issues a few years back(recalls i believe) but they have their stuff together now. At least my reel.

·
Registered
16,608 Posts
I agree with the Dr., for the money I don't think you can beat the ABU Garcia 5500/5501 or the little larger 6500/6501. I just updated my boat gear and went with six new Shakspere (sp) Intrepid heavy action rods with new 5501 C3's for less than $90 each. Love this combo for falls/springers/steelhead in our local rivers. I've used this brand of reel for probably 20 years of fishing and have never (I mean never) had a problem with any I have owned, nothing. IMHO these are the best reels for the money hands down.

JK

·
Registered
169 Posts
Reel Dick---there are several models of Corsair.
Betcha a buck that you didn't buy a 400 or 400A
at Joe's for $29.95.
Dr.----Yeah, I have a 5500 C3 & I like it OK. I just wanted a little larger reel for increased line capacity.
Abalone----What model?

[ 08-21-2003, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: MicroFish ]

·
Registered
888 Posts
I agree with almost everyone else,for the money buy the 6500. I bought three 400 corsair reels for a great price two years ago and now two of the three have drag problems, if i set the hook the reel reels backwards. So personally i won't buy another one even at a great price, i will buy the Abu reel or just stash money away without the wife knowing til i have enough for a better one. pathetic huh!!! you do what you can when it comes to fishing gear!!!!!

·
Registered
7,087 Posts
I have to agree that the Corsair model is not the best reel out there. I have purchased two 400A's on ebay for less than 35.00 each. My son fishes these two reels and he has not had a bit of problem with them. For a twelve year old kid who has landed a bunch of salmon they work great.

For me I prefer the Abu 6500.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The Corsairs are actually pretty decent reels. I have worked on several dozen of them over the years (they are still popular with a lot of the guides in this area) but I would mention a couple of problem areas to consider:
1. Be sure you get a gold colored one, not silver. The gold ones are the "A" models.
2. I have had several in for drag problems, but this is common in most reels that require lubrication on the drags. The factory and some reel techs overdo the grease or use the wrong kind of grease, causing a sticky/jerky drag and lost fish.
3. The reel is mostly plastic. This is not a bad as it seems since plastic doesn't corrode..but plastic doesn't tolerate mistreatment well. It doesn't bend unders stress, it snaps.
4. I have had a couple in recently for shredded yokes. The pinion gear just ground them into nothing, I don't know why. It was either misassembly by someone or improper lubrication.
5. The abu is a great reel too, and will cast farther out of the box. The tolerances are looser for one thing, and you can feel it when you cast. They have a weak point in common with the Corsair and that's the fact that they do not have a one piece frame. For those you use heavy lines on big ocean fish, that may be an issue. I have noticed stress cracks on some of the corsairs, but not Abus, from flexing.

If you have any questions about these or any other reels, feel free to email me.
Al

G

·
My experience with these reels has not been good and $70 is way overpriced! Pay the extra and go with the Shimano Catala or Cardiff if you don't want to shell out the big bucks for a Calcutta.
I have a Catala and it has served me well.
My thoughts is that Shimano should change the name from Corsair to Corvair.... :grin:
Also you cannot go wrong with the ABU/Garcia 6500 C3 series.
Just my opinion.

[ 08-21-2003, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Stew ]

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
for plunkin get a PENN 310GTI, Spots where I plunk I have had a big fish rip too much line with a 6500 to handle it, Below Bonnie with good flow you won't regret it!

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
No No no no no no no........ Do not buy a Corsair. I used to fish 4 gold Corsairs once, never again. Two of the reels held up ok, even caught a number of sturgeon on the 400. I had problems with the spool release, after engaging the release and free spooling line out, turning the handle didn't reset the release. You'd have to fiddle with the handle, crank backwards, then forward to engage the spool. Also had problems with the drag backing off and screws coming loose and I checked them repeatedly.

I've always liked Shimmano reels and still enjoy the older level winds along with many of their spinning reels. But they really laid an egg with the Corsair.

My favorite reel in the capacity your looking for and your price range is ABU Garcia's C3 6500 or 6501. I purchased 3 more of these last year brand new for $54.95. These reels are tough and can take a beating. The only thing I've ever done is replace drag washers and lube the reel. I fill them up with 30 lb. test to land salmon and sturgeon. I also have a couple 5501's filled with tuff line I use backbouncing for salmon and bottom fishing in the ocean. I like lighter weight tackle for fighting fish.

Now if I wanted to spend some money for a better quality heavy reel, I'd buy the Penn International 965 or 975.

have fun,

Gregg

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Hmmm, I have a Corsair and have never had a problem with it. As a matter of fact, it reeled up a halibut a few weeks ago along with a few nice ocean Chinook. It has landed numerous salmon and few sturgeon. It has held up to the abuse of the salt and my own abuse and it still works perfect. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If you want one get it on ebay. You will have problems eventually though if you do any serious fishing.

I have also had the derailing problem.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm on my third in 1 1/2 years, the first of which performed great for several months before the drag became impossible to tighten. Fortunately the people at GI Joes share the same expectations of lifetime as I do, and were generous enough to keep swapping them until I got (what I think is) a good one. As a comparison, my Shimano Curado and Ambassadeur 6500 reels have operated flawlessly for years. I won't buy another Corsair, but I'll buy other reels again from GI Joes, Fishermen's, or Jack's Country Store in Ocean Park. They all deal fairly in my experience.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bi-Mart has the CS400A advertised today for $70.
Anybody out there used 'em? Are they a decent reel? Yeah, Yeah I know but I can't afford a Calcutta. Well, maybe I could but Moma would probably throw a hissy fit if I spent that much on a reel that I don't really NEED (can you say "p whipped"). No, not really---she's pretty good about my expenditures for fishing gear.
Just bought a plunking rod at Fisherman's a couple weeks ago & I'm thinking about a reel for it. Would this CS 400A be OK?

b

·
Registered
391 Posts
i had a gold 301a..the drag seemed really weak, and when i would cast it would grind gears sometimes..but, my dad has one that has worked just fine for him..
i like my 6501s way better
for 70 bucks walmart here in boise has a smaller (5000ish size?) c4 abu garcia for 70 bucks

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I prefer the CS400A over my Abu (s).
Make sure its a gold one. Had a silver with drag problems and Shimano sent me a brand new gold 400A after a year. Mine has handle quite a few large fish. A reel repair guy told me the 1 piece frames Corsair, Big Iron - handle more abuse than Garcia's 3 piece. Always remember to lighten the drag after a days fishing

1 - 20 of 26 Posts