IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been talked into going down to Bandon this coming weekend to fish the Coquille River. Any info would be greatly appreciated. What is the run looking like this year and what is working. Is there a local sporting goods store for info and tackle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
It's been sucking eggs... Honestly the coos has outfished the coquille 2:1 by far this year. Not sure why the fish aren't biting, water temps, or whatever reason. They're there, but pretty lockjawed. Everyone I know that normally fishes there I see on the coos every weekend. Lepper lives there in bandon and should be a good source of info though if you're set on the coquille.

tc

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
My boss spent a couple days down there last week at Bullard's Beach and said he saw quite a few fish brought in (he didn't have his boat). He also said that they got 48 crab off a dock somewhere down there. :shocked:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Spoke to my (guide) uncle this afternoon.
He actually has a client that he fishes every Tues. and Thursday who woon't fish the Coos.. :whazzup: :whazzup: anyway they limited out (4 fish) by 10AM on the Coquille, and then hooked up with a friend that lives on the river... and caught two more on this afternoon's outgoing.

My dad fished the Coos, hooed 9 landed 6, one 40$ two right at 25 and a couple Coho's one 13# :cheers: hatchery hen, another 12# wild hen.

That's my story! :grin:

·
Registered
450 Posts
CHD,

I went fishing on the Coquille Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Friday I limited below Riverton about a mile above "the Bear Creek flats" up around the bend ("the Corner"). I thought to myself, "this is going to be a weekend worthy of story and song" NOT. Saturday: started at Studavin (sp?) because I heard of a good bite and got zip, didn't see one fish boated. Major Major debris issue at Sturdavin, trees, logs, seaweed, etc. Packed it up and went back below Riverton again. Saw a few boated, but was pretty slow. Had one on for 10 seconds, burried the rod hard pumped four times before I could get to it. Set the hook and.....nothing. It was gone ^^%&^[email protected]@!#[email protected], is more or less what I said. Nothing else the rest of the day. Sunday: Hit it just after daylight, launched at Rocky Point, caught a steelhead fry right away. Then not. Saw a few caught, but for the number of boats, pretty slow. Went back to "the Corner". Had one on but came loose after a couple minutes. More choice words grumbled under breath. Changed from herring to a long lined #6 flo-orange blue fox spinner with silver wings, 6' leader 1oz bannana/trolling weight, scrubbed with toothpaste. Immediate hammer down, fish on, good fight, up to the boat, runs, up to the boat again, hook (owner treble) comes out?

I think the water is a little warm. Talked to a lot of people that said they were getting fish just barely hooked or on and then coming unbuttoned.

Good luck if you go. Personally, I would give it a go and if you don't get good results, go to the Coos.

-BottomFeeder

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I haven't honestly fished the coquille all that much this year.... But every time I have I have caught/ hooked a fish.. Going out in the morning for a few hours will let you know how we are doing..

Still a lot of fish left to come in.. I'll start fishing it more when the boats start to thin out.. don't like that combat crap.. no fun..

AS for a report on the river and bait.. Come on down into bandon down in old town on the water front there are 2 fishing places.. port-a-call and Bandon Bait.. Go to Bandon Bait, (furthest one to the west) they have the best bait and Dianne has really good input how they are doing.. just remember to try and act like a semi-normal local if you want the actual truth for the fishing report.. from her anyway.. :smile:

TH, you fishing around sternaven? I've heard good things about that area..

d

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I will be staying at Bullards Beach. I have not been there before and am told that there is a boat launch there at the park. Is this the best place to put in and then head for the crowds? Is there a place to try eggs and a bobber?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Upriver from coquille and not quite to Myrtle Point is a section called Arago that is very good at times for bobber and eggs. There are several holes that hold fish, you should see them rolling all over but you'll have to filter through the blackies to find a decent one up there. To get there go from Bandon to Arago, (have to ask the locals the exact road name, I think it's the old highway) and you'll run into a boat launch on your way. Put in there and try up and down the river from that point. Lepper knows this stretch of river better than I and might be able to point you in exact holes and slots.

tc

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
There is a ton of egg/bobber water above Coquille.. follow the river up on the east side.. you see the masses.. lots of people do that! Just not me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts