IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,287 Posts
Is it a scorpion? It looks like half cricket and half scorpion. Weird.

Is that another famous stove picture? :wink: That seems to be the stage of choice for oogey bug/insect pictures.

· Registered
3,904 Posts
I found one of those or should I say one found me years agon do in southern Oregon. But the one I saw was almost an inch long. One mean looking critter.

· Ichthyomaniac
2,995 Posts
It is definately not a cricket. I count 8 legs plus the pinchers, making it an arachnid and not an insect. Although scorpions are mostly are found east of the cascades, the store at Promontory park on the clackamas used to have a couple in a terrarium that were found in the area by loggers.

· Registered
8,861 Posts
Wow ! That's only the second time I have seen one of those.
I am curious to know what part of the state you found it in. A long time ago my brother and I were looking for Damsel flies in Crane prarie and we found one or something very similar. But it was in water and while we tried to preserve it, it jus dissolved away. Really creepy looking.

Looks half Scorpion and half Crawdad.

I hope you I.D. it.

How big is it ? Ours was kind of small, maybe and inch or more.

· Registered
3,975 Posts
That group of arachnids are called Pseudoscorpions (do a google image search for more pics), as they have no stinger and most have silk glands as well. This one looks to be a Chernetid, very common in leaf litter, moss, etc on the forest floor.

· Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Abalone:
It was found near the Wilson River.

Fish_N_Russ:
I googled pseudoscorpion, and you are right on the money. There are a couple of pictures there that are identical.

It was only about half a centimeter long. I have a picture of it with a dime next to it, but it didn't turn out too well. I will fiddle with it and maybe post it later. Right now I'm off to help ripnlips put some breakin hours in his new NorthRiver. :dance:

· Registered
3,859 Posts
Abalone, I came across one in the lake next to C P I was looken for [petunias!] too, I a just about jump out of the water, never seen some thing like that.

· Registered
758 Posts
You can find Scorpions just north of the Bridge of the Gods up behind Ash Lake. Get up near the powerlines and start flipping rocks over. I found 13 in about a half hour up there.

INSAYN™

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.