IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonights fish recipe.

A double entree.

grilled coho with roasted red bell pepper sauce.

dust a salmon fillet with sea salt and coarse ground balck pepper. a little lemon and a squirt of balsamic vinegar. Cover in a bowl until it reaches room temp.

Take a dozen red bell peppers and a couple jelapenos, cut them in half, seed and devien them. Coat them with olive oil...place them on a BBQ set at the highest temp SKIN SIDE DOWN. Blacken the skins until they start to peel and soften. Remove the skins with a paring knife (a bit tedious) and cram them all into a food prcesor. Grill the fish.
While the fish is cooking, blend the peppers adding a bit of olive oil, plenty of salt and pepper, fresh garlic, and some of the juice from the jar of garlic. A little bit of lemon too. Blend to a sauce.

Re-heat the mixture in the microwave but dont heat it too much, the oils will seperate.

Spoon generous amounts over salmon.

Second entree.

Halibut, or cod with artichoke hearts and cream dijon sauce.

drain some artichoke hearts, place a fillet of fish in a frypan with a little real butter. Brown both sides and add the artichoke hearts, fresh garlic, salt and pepper, let brown...turn the hearts gently so you dont break them. Deglaze the pan with a little white wine, use a rubber spat to losen the garlic and other stuff from the bottom of the pan. When the fish is half cooked and before the wine eveaporates, add 3 tablespoons of dijon mustard, and aabout 3/4 of a cup of heavy whipping cream (unsweetened of course) stir gently until the cream thinkens to a sauce and blends well with the mustard.

Serve with orange couscous (replace half the water in the directions with orange juice) and a vegetable such as frsh steamed white corn. or wilted spinach salad.

Serve both the salmon with red bell pepper sauce and the halibut/cod with creamed dijon and artichokes side by side. The colors of red fish with red sauce, and white fish with white sauce side by side are visually appealing, and the flavors of each will likely afford you a little extra attention from your spouse later in the evening.

Bon Appetite

:cheers:

[ 07-21-2003, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Administrator
41,369 Posts
Yummmm ... but you forgot to include the location and time for this feast! I've got new potatoes from my garden which might go nicely ... and a bouquet of salad greens which I'll prepare with a fresh raspberry vinaigrette. Who's bringing dessert? :grin:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hmmm sounds good....

Just a little poke :grin:

fresh garlic, and some of the juice from the jar of garlic
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I've never been able to get garlic juice out of the jar of fresh garlic :rolleyes:

12 red bell peppers...I will have to wait until the garden produces to do this recipe.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok river fshr...minced or chopped garlic..not the powdered junk (equally difficult to find juice in that too)

Pete, sack up them spuds and greens and meet me at Le IFish Cafe. (did you run out back and pick those for the pic? :laugh: )

Dessert? Whos got the WINE?

·
Administrator
119,645 Posts
I've always got an ample supply of whine.

Just ask!

:tongue:

·
Registered
331 Posts
COTR: Both of your recipes sound great.
I may give that halibut recipe a try this week. It sounds delicious. Might even get some tiny red potatoes to go with it. I got hungry just looking at Pete’s picture. :wink: I must say though I was a little worried when I first saw the title of this thread. I was afraid it might be a carp recipe. :wink: I’m glad I was wrong. :grin:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
"Cooking with cirrhosis" could be a misleading/interesting title IMHO....
:grin: :wink:

[ 07-21-2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Carp ]

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do I really need to ask Jennie? :tongue:

Elwix..A photo of any carp recipe will be posted with a much more creative headline. Ill be sure to get pics at all angles too (recommended by my lawyer for a class action civil suit against willierower)

Mr Carp...would "cooking with MR Cirrhosis" suit your palatte?

Tomorrows Menu, carp dejour, with Petes yestertaters.

Actually. James (Fishing is life) inspired me in another thread. Steamed Lingcod with somen noodles and black bean garlic sauce is for dinner tomorrow, dont miss the next exciting episode of....."cooking with cirrhosis"

[ 07-22-2003, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Any shrimp recipes? We're going to be eating fresh spot prawns tonight (if everything goes as planned).

A little tip on the peppers (I really like peppers). After you char the skin, put them in a zip-lock bag and seal it up for about 10 minutes. The skins will just rub off, no need to peel tediously with a paring knife.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
..... theres lemon shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp on a stick, shrimp kabobs, coconut shrimp, shrimp and potadaz.....sorry, couldnt resist.

Great tip on the peppers...after reading I remeber my grandmother putting them in a bit of boiling water and quikly covering them off the heat. She would peel them by just rubbing them with her fingers.

I like sauted shrimp or scampi, just butterfly them and toss them in a hot pan with butter fresh garlic, green onions or fresh chives black pepper and when thy are almost done, a bit of white wine and another slab of butter and a squirt of lemon til it all melts. Shrimp are easy to overcook...doesnt take long from start to finish with this recipe. You can follow the same recipe add some sliced zuchinni and diced tomatoes and take some half and half, whip in a couple of eggyolks, and some grated parmesan cheese, fresh basil stir it in the shrimp just until it thickens and then pour it over pasta (vermaccelli, spaghetti, linguinni)

Deep fried with Panko is good too...soak in one part lemon juice, one part coconut milk and then roll em in flour, eggwash, and press them in panko oriental rice breading. Use different dips eg. cocktail, sweet and sour or orange sauce, soy sauce straight up and plain old balsamic vinegar is good too. Sounds bad but I use plain old melted butter with some garlic and a little balsamic vinegar.

Mix a little raw coconut shredded into the panko if thats what your into...Im not much of a coconut fan.

[ 07-23-2003, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Yes, shrimp are better the simpler you prepare them. I like a light olive oil marinade and a quick fry in a hot pan. A spicy (hot) boil is a great way too, just don't overcook them.

It's a false alarm anyway. They closed recreational shrimping in the San Juans July 6, but the commercials have their pots out. :mad:

You can go to the Canadian side and take 200 per license. We went over to the Gulf Islands yesterday near Sidney and "paid our dues". We got a few, but were too deep most of the time and got some kind of little lobster thing. By the time we talked to the locals and found out they were shallower than we were used to, we ran out of time for a haul. I think it's late in the season anyway and they've been hit pretty hard.

·
Registered
16,602 Posts
COTR,
Could you please post the 'Steamed Lingcod with somen noodles and black bean garlic sauce' recipe. My daughter brought me some lingcod a couple weeks ago that she had caught and I have been looking for a good way to cook it. I don't care much for the breaded coating type of recipe's and yours sounds interesting.

Thanks,
JK

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its a very simple recipe and not extremely visually appealing considering steamed fish, but the flavor is very robust, and a bit on the salty side...youll need a good dry chardonay or saki to go with it.

In a large wok or skillet, pour enough water in to cover the bottom plus some rice wine vinegar, thinly sliced ginger, celery seed pinch, and a little sugar (1/2 tsp) if you like hot, get some satay oil (this stuff makes hot peppers say ouch!) red green and yellow diced bell peppers are optional, as well as straw mushrooms.

Simmer the fish (and peppers if used) covered tightly in the mixture and flipping once until done.

Remove the fish and cover it to keep warm...add the mushrooms and some japanese tomoshiraga (somen noodles) to the remaining liquid...these take no time at all to cook, stir in one LEVEL tablespoon of fermented black bean and garlic sauce for every 4 oz of finished product.. (E.g. if you have 4 oz of fish, and 4 oz of noodles, use 2 LEVEL tablespoons of sauce.) When its hot, its done...mix well and pile the noodles on a plate...place the fish on top, and spoon the remaining juices/veges from the pan over the whole thing.

The trick is to use the right amount of liquid to cook the fish and then have enough to cook the noodles as it reduces and thickens for a sauce. Too much water is a hassle, not enough you can always add a little while the noodles are cooking. But dont dump the extras, remove the noodles and keep the liquid reducing in a HOT uncovered pan or wok...thats where all the flavor is.

Good luck, bon appetite, or should I say..."dont wok away" :hoboy:

P.S. this recipe can be used with the shrimp too, just use a little oil instead of water after you soften the, peppers, mushrooms, ginger etc..very breifly cook the shrimp on high heat until they just star to curl then add the sauce and a splash of rice wine and satay oil (optional), stir it in, and add water and noodles. Simmer it down, hopefully, when the sauce is at the right consistancy, the noodles are done....if not, add a little water.

:Cheers

[ 07-24-2003, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Another way to cook salmon steaks with out any oil is in the new type George Foreman cookers. Normally used to cook hamburger. Put your favorite seasoning salt on the salmon steaks and cook about 10 to 15 minutes. It works slick as a whistle.

·
Registered
580 Posts
All of those recepies look great. I have been on a diet similar to Atkins and these will fit right in. (Except for those spuds) :depressed: .

COTR sounds like an ex chef. Chef On The River...

Sounds like an old Cable Dawg that has lived on the Road as well....
:grin:
rhansme

1 - 17 of 17 Posts