IFish.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I put a steelhead on the barbie and the results were less than stellar. We're not talking terrible here, but it just didn't taste that great and I'm puzzled as to why.

The fish was a nice summer chromer caught on Saturday. I immediately bonked, bled, and gutted the fish within minutes of landing. I was able to got rid of most of the kidney and rinsed the body cavity out with river water. The fish sat on the bank for maybe an hour and then went into a cooler full of ice for a day. The fish was filleted yesterday and put into the fridge.

Tomight I rinsed off the fillets, squeezed some lemon juice on them, put a little dill, butter, and Lowery's on it then wrapped in foil and put it on the grill for about 17 mintues.

When I brought the fish out it smelled absoluetly delectible. My mouth watered in anticpation but I was bummed to find the taste was somewhat "fishy" and had a slight muddy or bland aftertaste.

I can cook a mean salmon and halibut on the grill but steelhead just don't seem to taste nearly as well to me. Am I doing soemthing wrong here....or...do many of you find that steelhead are not quite as good as salmon on the grill?

I've had some turn out very well in the past, but it seems like with steelhead its a roulette game for me whereas with salmon its usually guaranteed to taste great.

Any help would be appreciated as I have lost all confidence in cooking steelhead on the grill. :frown:

thanks!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Steelhead do taste different than salmon, especially when they've been the river awhile they taste much more like a trout. If it had already spawned but brightened up that could account for the bland taste too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I did a taste test a little bit ago I had Fresh steely and fresh silver and cooked to pieces together on the barbq and you could tell the saltwater silver vs the river flushed steely but they were both darn good, fresh is best..

·
Registered
486 Posts
From my experience is to bleed the fish completely after catching the fish. Once home I clean the fish: gutting and making sure no more blood is in the fish. So after filleting the fish wash once more then into the fridge for marination or into the freezer. Best BBQ i done was few days after catching the fish and marinating it. After I put the fillet on foil and don't cover it once put on the BBQ.

Rookie

·
Registered
18,447 Posts
17 minutes?

I shoot for 10 minutes per inch of thickness.

It's probably medium rare and still slightly translucent when I pull it off but after letting it rest a few minutes, it finishes cooking as a very moist just opaque medium. Melt in your mouth delicious!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Every think about cooking the whole fish under a salt dome in your oven? You can stuff the insides with all the herbs you like......
I saw it on GOOD EATS.....actually, I have the DVD

Joey

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
steelies dont have the flavor salmon do IMHO. Steelhead are great for the smoker though.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Just sounds like you had a summer there. Even though it was bright it could quite possibly been in the river for several months. The fishy, muddy taste tells me that.

P.S. Not really possible that it has spawned, summers wont spawn until at least Jan. and even later.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the replies. It looks like I did everything properly but I think the best explanation is that steelhead that have been in the river for a while taste a little different. I caught the fish in the Deschutes so it was definately in freshwater for a while. This fish tasted more like trout than salmon. Granted, steelhead are technically trout, but many of the ones I have eaten in the past taste much more like salmon than this particular fish did. Live and learn....I think I'll continue to smoke most of my steelies unless I get one close to the salt.

thanks again for all your help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts