IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone gone from a console to tiller steering in the same boat? What does it involve and around how much does it cost? Thank you in advance!! :smile:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Probably about $700-800 for the parts and labor for the tiller mod. Plus new floorboards and the labor to install.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Uncle Roman,
I has a center console with a 150 hp outboard pump, I had Motion Marine do a retrofit with an inboard 175 sportjet with a tiller, along with the outback package. $11,950.oo for the whole kit and caboodle. Best money I ever spent and I couldn't be happier. :dance: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hi Thumper,
How are you doing? Wanna go walleye fishing?

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Logs? Nope, but you're invited to fish the NF Lewis with us. Things are looking pretty good. Sounds like you've had a great year! You are our fearless leader! :grin:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Last year I converted my 50 hp 4 stroke Yamaha to tiller from a console.

I took it to a local Yama dealer and they did it for $500.00 total including the cost of the tiller assembly.

I had a 3" hole in the floorboards where the cables came through so I made a 1/16" thick aluminum patch and pop-riveted to the floor and painted it black to match the floorboards.

It turned out darn good and never had replace the floorboards.

I do like the tiller much better that the steering wheel but sure do miss the pull up window on the console. But the extra room in the boat is worth it too!!!

fop

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Mama told me to shop around. The price spread from the high to the low from the bids was almost 650.00!! Low was 700. High was almost double that.

Cheapest aint always best. Most aint either. Reputation of the individual doing the work should mean a lot. I will post in detail at a later date. But make sure that whoever does your work will stand behind it.

Mark and the still steering with a wheel dog.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is definately something to consider when shopping for used boats. It must be a more difficult practice than theory. Thank you very much all who replied!! :smile:

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
I know NETONE did it because he is selling the parts in the classified section, you should contact him.

JK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts