IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K...Some swear by "scents" on lures...some...like me.. swear by "no scents".....

While in the shower the other morning...I was pondering the whole human scent thing...especially when I applied my anti-perspirant. Lots of chemicals in that stuff, ya know??

Don't wanna start a poll...but....

Not that I really care either...but what kind of underarm goop are you all using...Do you suppose it could affect your success out on the river??

My deodorant is Mennen Speed Sticks...How about the rest of you guys and gals??

Just curious..

Mark

·
Registered
190 Posts
Naw, FM, the theory doesn't work. I also use Speed Stick also, and I can't hold a candle to the number of feesh that have ended up in the Mission boat! :hoboy: :grin: :shrug:
Maybe it is the regularity of use? :whazzup:

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Geeeeee Mark kinda personal don't ya think? :shrug: I don't even shower before I fish. I'd rather stink up the dang river than smell like a lilly. :laugh:

Don't think the hygene deal matters much with exception to the hands and the preperation area for your lures, herring, eggs and so on. De-scent the hands in my opinion has really helped my springer success the past two years. Definitly a believer in lemon Joy before the bait preperation. Scrubbing the lures of course makes a differnce too. Seen this proven over and over again.

There are of course phobias against bananas, chicken, pizza, pepperoni sticks and so on. I can tell ya the banana deal is bunk for sure. Eat bananas, take bananas and I always catch fish regardless.

Showing before fishing though? Sorry, just can't get into that.......yet. :wink: I am sure there is merrit to some extent but I am not willing to give up another 20 minutes in the tub only to shower again when I get home.

Irish spring? Dove? or anise soap? What fuffy soap do you use Jedi Mission? :grin:

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well...I guess I must confess..I usually don't shower immediately before hitting the river...thought maybe the under-arm perfume could linger tho.

Crimony...I don't even bother with the lemon Joy routine either.

Mark

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I personally use one of the commercial scents on the market-shrimp for steelhead fishing and sardine for salmon fishing.

C&E, don't you remember all that "old guy" smell last December? Maybe you should hit the shower before a trip :shrug:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

G

·
I watched you coat your hooks with Mennen Speed Stick, though the binocs. :shocked: Shower & Fish, then Catch & Eat, Bernie. :grin:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
David, I gotta wonder why if you use a "commercially bought shrimp scent" is it in a bottle with duct tape around it, electricians tape, and then a padlock? :laugh:

Had a great time Saturday,

Thanks, Tag

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Mark...I usually don't shower the morning of my trip...and won't re-apply a deodorant in the morning...On occasion i might have a special scent to apply that brings me good luck ... :tongue: :shocked: :laugh:
this topic is a smok'n thumb :grin:
MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
13,824 Posts
"Skunked" by Ralph Lauren.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
534 Posts
speed stick all the way, haven't fished lately but most of the time I usually do out fish the other guys but I shower before going out and they don't. FM you have something here, lemon joy, every thing then apply mennen speed stick to line help sooooth the thumb.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I guess I go the no human scent routine without even thinking about it. Dove unscented bar soap and Mitchum unscented deodorant.

Shrimp or Crawdad scent for steelhead.

Shrimp or Sardine scent for salmon.

Mike

oops, forgot I use anise too...not on me. :smile:

[ 09-30-2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: blacktail ]

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I use "Citrus Squeeze" deoderant, a little spray of "Cool Water" perfume and unscented hand lotion and still I usually catch more than my husband!!! So, I'm thinking maybe you guys are being a little too careful!!! :rolleyes:

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Shower before fishing never. have you smelled your shirt sleves after you carked some TUNA, I haven't got the smell out with 5 washings. I do wash my hands and watch human scents around bail, lures, ETC.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
FM, I have to agree with C and E as this is starting to have a smell to it. Gotta admit a shower the night before seems to work best for me. I still use the same under arm protection as in Viet Nahm, Baby Powder all the way. Lemon Joy for the hands about 50% of the time when in the boat.

Bernie and shower seems to me to be an oxymoron of some sort. You can always tell when he is on the river by the discoloration of the water. :grin:
Great guy but you gotta sit up wind of him if you know what I mean. Crest might be the one he needs most of all, :wink: I use it on the lures vs lemon joy.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I think this whole scent thing is humorous. I usually shower the night before, apply sunscreen the morning of, then wash my hands and drive to the ramp. I rarely ever use scent for Salmon and when I do, it'a a good squirt of WD-40. Yea I know we are not supposed to use it on the water so save your breath, I'm gonna use it anyway :cool:

The only time I usually use a squirt is when I messed with my kicker motor and got a little gas on my hand or when I catch a salmon and clean the blood and slime off my wobbler. Whatever your confident in will work. That goes for lures as well. I seem to catch just as many fish without buying any of the fancy scents or coming up with my own zipperlip formula. I rarely use scent for sturgeon either :shrug:

[ 09-30-2003, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Tacklebuster ]

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
I smell something fishy about this post.

LOL

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I use Marie's shrimp sticky scent in the handy roll-on dispenser. Lasts all day, even when I'm active. I wonder if she makes a solid too? :grin:
GBS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts