IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of buying a connecting rod from my 75 hp mercury main motor to my 8 hp Yamaha Trolling Motor so I can steer the trolling motor from the steering wheel. At White Elephant they have a conversion kit for $21.00 to do this. White Elephant does not allow returns. :whazzup: It looks pretty generic. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on the best way to do a connecing rod hook-up? Do the conversion kits work? Thanks in advance for your responses!!
Wheeler

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I am not sure if this will help, but here goes. On my Honda 115 and 9.9 I purchase a "tongue" piece that bolts onto the front of each motor. On the tongue is a ball joint to which a rod connnects each "tongue". It is a slick system, no rod bending, easy on/off. My kicker/main motor on both mounted on a straight transom. It was more like $100 for all the hardware.

Joe

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had a Easy Steer system installed at the North River boat dealership. I believe the hardware was around $60 and installation was $30. It works great!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I have the EZ steer on my boat. I just happened to check prices for a new one last night and they want $190 for the setup now!!

My old one looks purty dang good today.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My fishing buddy has a 20' Hewes with 130 hp, 9.9 hp Hondas, his big motor goes lock to lock but the way his kicker connecting rod is mounted it does not allow his kicker to go lock to lock, it turns sharper one way then the other.

I wanted mine to have full range of motion (both motors) so I looked at all the pivot points, measured everything (geometry) then figured the best way to mount the connecting rod.

I bought the connecting rod ends with the ball joints then threaded my own stainless rod after I figured out how long it needed to be. I built my own mounting brackets for each motor out of plate aluminum.

It all works great, both motors move full range lock to lock.

With both lower units in the water for steering I have lots of control. When I turn around and troll the other way I just pivot in place and head the other way, literally Just swap ends.It's great in crowded conditions.

I love being able to steer from the wheel up front, when we get a fish just step to the back and unhook the rod then chase the fish on the tiller.

I also have the TrollMaster throttle control for the kicker so I can run the throttle from the helm...I love it.. Yes I know TR-1 bla, bla, bla, Bla. Wright Angle

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have the set up that birdnest mentioned. It works great. I paid $30.00 for my first one but it got rusty from salt. I now have the stainless steel version ($60.00) and no problems. On my last boat I had the one that connect in the back, and almost took a swim a few times. HJ

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Wright Angle!! Great explanation and great pictures!! :smile: :smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts