IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I don't understand:

Is only the CR open to the retention of NON-finclipped Chinook? Meaning, what about the Willamette, Sandy, Clackamas, and other Columbia Tribs. The ODFW Regs state that the Willamette, Sandy, and Clackamas are only open to adipose fin-clipped, so I guess I answered my own question. However, Fast Action brings up a good point in the Sandy River thread. And that is, does ODFW even fin-clip fall chinook? And if they do, then why is the CR not fin-clip only. I'm all confused.

So, in the end, what I want to know is this. Is the only place I'm going to get a Chinook that I can harvest going to be the CR? There has to be fin-clipped fall chinook on the Willamette, right? And the same goes with the Sandy and Clackamas, right?

Please help...

--Skahorse

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
From and earlier post.

Fall Chinook have a life history in which their juviniles only reside in freshwater for one year or less. This makes them less vulnerable to (but not limited to) various land use practices that inflict mortality upon them as juviniles. They, to a certain extent, only have to contend with ocean limiting factors. Coho, spring Chinook, summer Chinook, and many steelhead, on the other hand, reside in fresh water for up to two years which exposses them to freshwater and ocean peril. This basic biological difference gives fall Chinook a competitive edge and has resulted in most of our fall populations being healthy thus no selective fisheries based on fin clipping are warrented. CR fall Chinook are fin clipped but at very low rates and only to signify the prescence of a coded wire tag for scientific research. You can keep either a fin clipped fall Chinook or a non fin clipped fall Chinook unless the regs for your stream say only open for fin clipped Chinook. Also, virtually all coastal fall stocks are natural spawners and therefore have never been at a hatchery where they would be fin clipped. Hope this sheds some light.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Trask
Wilson
Nehalem

etc.

Is there a fall chinook hatchery on any Willamette tributary? Santiam? (Marion Forks) McKenzie fish are spring run, no? Molalla is all wild anymore. Clackamas? coho coho coho rain rain rain coho coho coho yeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaa

[ 09-09-2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: lost_sailor ]

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats a good point. I guess I just assumed since there was such a good spring fishery that there would be a fall one also. Huh, you're probably right LS. O-well. Guess I won't be doing any fall chinook fishing this year. :depressed: Thanks for the help.

--Skahorse

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
wislon,trask,nestucca,yaqina,coquille,rouge,elk,chetco,sixes,alsea, all plant hachery fall chinooks.there are only a few streams that don't plant fall chinooks. no tribs of the willamette have any planted fall chinooks any more.

these are the rivers I know only have wild chinooks. I'm sure their are many I forgot...

nehalem/ north & south
necanicum
tillamook
miami
little nestucca
siletz
drift creek/alsea

·
Registered
19,912 Posts
Skahorse,the only fall chinooks I've caught on the Sandy were tules. I've never caught a fall chinook on the Clackamas or Willamette rivers. Go to where the fish are,CR or the coast.

[ 09-09-2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: freespool ]

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, in other words, it's pointless to fish for fall chinook in the Willamette, Sandy or Clackamas because the only fish I am going to be able to keep is going to be the off-chance wire tagged fish? Because the regs state:

Clackamas: Open for adipose fin-clipped chinook and steelhead entire year.

Sandy: Open for adipose fin-clipped chinook from Feb.1 - Oct. 31. Adipose fin-clipped steelhead entire year.

Willamette: Open for adipose fin-clipped chinook and steelhead entire year.

So now let me put this together. Fall Chinook aren't fin-clipped, and the above rivers only allow retention of fin-clipped... So no fishing for Fall Chinook on the above mentioned rivers?!?!

I think I am still confused. :shocked: :rolleyes: :whazzup:

--Skahorse

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Also skahorse I believe I pointed out on the Sandy thread or another one the possible reason for the fin clip reg on those particular rivers are to prevent fishermen from harvesting wild springers that can be caught in the spring, summer, and fall.

Also some fall chinook are clipped for example the Salmon River fall chinook here at the coast are 100% fin clipped.

Dan

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Freespool--
The problem with going out on the Columbia is that I don't know where I am going or where the fish are. This is my first year salmon fishing, and I spent most of the Spring run on the Willamette. And thats because I've been spent several years prior wakeboarding and jet-skiing on the Willamette, so I was familiar with it. I don't have a depth finder, and I don't know the Columbia at all, so it's like trying to find my keys in a pitch black room that I've never been in before... :shocked:

Note: Anyone want to take me out for CR introduction fishing trip?

--Skahorse

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Depot Bay Dan-
You are one of the most knowledgeable people on the board and I really appreciate your expertise and input. Thanks again.

·
Scallywag
3,410 Posts
Skahorse,

I'll volunteer to take you out for an introductory CR fall chinook excursion.

Weekdays, I get off work at 3 p.m.
I live and work close to the CR in Gresham. The closest launch to me is Chinook Landing, if we're taking my boat.

I'm going salmon fishing today and tomorrow. I'll be at Yaquina bay this weekend crabbing with family.

PM me with your availability. Meet at Chinook landing today at 4:00 if you want.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Digi, I have to second that. DBD you're the man!

Boatdog, check your PM.

Thanks for all the insight everyone.

--Skahorse

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
From what I've seen of the fall chinook that run up the Willamette around here, you wouldn't want to keep them. (see the previous dark fish thread for an idea of what I'm talking about.) :sick:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
wislon,trask,nestucca,yaqina,coquille,rouge,elk,chetco,sixes,alsea, all plant hachery fall chinooks.there are only a few streams that don't plant fall chinooks. no tribs of the willamette have any planted fall chinooks any more.

these are the rivers I know only have wild chinooks. I'm sure their are many I forgot...

nehalem/ north & south
necanicum
tillamook
miami
little nestucca
siletz
drift creek/alsea
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Got to correct you on that one lund. Actually there are a lot of rivers/streams that don't get fall chinook plants. You can add to that list drift creek/Siletz river, Yaquina River which you stated get's hatchery chinook but it doesn't. (Yaquina Bay get's a small fall chinook plant at the old Oreaqua facility). The Alsea is 100% wild chinook also which you listed as hatchery. The Yahats and Siusalaw are wild chinook only also. Only one river in the district that I live in that gets chinook plants and that is the Salmon River.

If you are correct on the other one's I'm surprised that the Nehalem doesn't have hatchery chinook and the Elk & Sixes does.

Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts