IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

Any shops that do a good job cold smoking salmon. I have great coho that I want to have mad into lox.

I did a search and did not hit any thing...just home recipes. Thanks :smile:

·
Premium Member
14,394 Posts
are you wanting cold smoked salmon or lox? cold smoked salmon is just that - smoke is applied but no heat. it's most often used with cheese. lox is more or less brined salmon with no smoke or heat applied. i know because the wife and i had discussions about how lox was made and i found five or six recipes for it online.

sorry, i can't help you with any shops that would do it for you. however, if we can smoke salmon and not spread food poisoning to our families and friends, then we should be able to make our own lox, right?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Try Edelweiss Sausage Co. and delicatessen.

I don't know if the do lox, but the may be able to direct you to someone who does. Other places that handle game meats for hunters may be able to help you as well.

May be try posting this on the hunting board.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
here's the recipe i do. there's tons more on www.foodtv.com search for lox, gravlax, or gravlox. i just did this one with fresh coho, and it turned out perfect, almost candied. use a really sharp filet knife to slice the lox. i left mine curing for 48 hours.

Gravlox
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2002
Show: Emeril Live Episode:

2 cups kosher salt
2 tablespoons cracked black peppercorns
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons orange zest strips (from 2 oranges)
1 (4 to 4 1/2-pound) side salmon fillet, skin on, pin bones removed, rinsed under cool water, and patted dry
Combine the salt, peppercorns, dill, and zest in a medium-size mixing bowl. Mix well. Lay a piece of plastic wrap twice the size of the salmon on a flat surface. Cross another piece of plastic of the same size over the first piece horizontally. Place the salmon in the center of the pieces of plastic wrap, with the skin side down. Spoon the seasoning mixture over the top and sides of the salmon. Using your fingers, spread the mixture evenly over the salmon. No part of the flesh of the fish should be exposed. With the palm of your hand, gently press the mixture into the salmon. Fold the 2 pieces of plastic wrap very tightly around the salmon, folding in the ends securely. Wrap the salmon a second time with another large piece of plastic. Place the wrapped salmon in shallow glass baking dish. Top the salmon with another baking dish. Place 2 heavy cans or 2 clean, wrapped bricks on the baking sheet to weight the salmon. Refrigerate for 24 to 30 hours, depending upon the thickness of the fish. Remove from the refrigerator and unwrap the salmon carefully. Discard the wrap and scrape off the seasoning mixture. Rinse the salmon under cold water to remove the seasoning mixture. Pat dry. To serve, remove 2 inches from the tail of the salmon. Slice the salmon, at an angle, into paper-thin slices. Serve with accompaniments.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I meant lox which is just "brined". Thanks for the suggestions :grin: I'm going to try the Emeril one.

cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
320 Posts
swamp critter, i forgot one thing. you need to add 1 1/2 cups of good brown sugar to the recipe i gave you. it called for vanilla sugar, and i accidentally deleted that entry from my recipe book. oops. anyway it'll turn out awesom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts