IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between springers and smelt, the freezer is full and I'm looking for a place the does custom fish smoking and packing. The desired result is aseptic, vacuum sealed packages of smoked springer that don't need refrigeration (like the sort they sell at Josephson's in Astoria, or in those gift-box packages).

Any tips, recomdations? Someplace in central to NE, NW Portland would be great.

Fish on!

[ 05-04-2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: garyk ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
GaryK,

Well...my neighbors will be back from FL next week and they do the best smoking and vacum bagging of anyone I know. Price is a bit steep (half the fish) but worth it <grin>.

I'm a Sturgeon Paul's fan but that's in Astoria. Might be worth the run for a cooler load of fish.

On the smoked vacum bags not needing refrigeration. Is that really the case? I was told that it must be refrigerated unless it's smoked to a salmon jerky.

Brion

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I would get a Little of Big Chief smoker and do it myself. What ever you do don't take it to Tony's in Oreogn City. You will be sorry if you do.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
ANY ONE WANT COMMERCIAL VAC. BAGS, 5 MILL. CONTACT TILLALMOOK ANGLERS. WE HAVE ABOUT ONE MILLION FOR SALE. RETAIL $250.00 a case for 1000, OUR PRICE $100.00, for 1000. BELIVE ME THESE THING ARE GREAT. IT DOES TAKE A COMMERCIAL VAC. TO USE.

·
Registered
17,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks StzII for the tip on Tony's.

We actually smoke fish constantly, however, we thought it would be cool to have some done up prfessionally in those mylar/foil packages that don't need refridgeration.

Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I had Tony's do a springer for me this year and was extremely satisfied with the smoking and packaging. They are one of the largest smokers in the west. They do have smoked fish for sale to sample their work. price was $1.25 for the fish pre-smoked weight plus .75 per bag for excellent vacuum packaging (have them do bigger pieces to save money). Their process requires refigeration or freezes well.

[ 05-05-2003, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Fish mojo ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts