IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following excerpt is from today's ODFW monday morning report:

COMMERCIAL OCEAN TROLL CHINOOK: The commercial troll chinook fishery has slowed, but is still ahead of the last year's landings. Landings through June 15 total 163,000 chinook, compared with 80,000 for the same time in 2002.

Looks like they're being caught at twice last year's rate.

FYI
GSA

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Keep in mind that netters are one thing, the trollers are another. I don't have any issue with the trollers, let them work just like the rest of us. They just get to keep more fish, but at least it is fair chase. :wink:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
If they've taken 163,000 fish they are worse than the netters. Thats a big chunk of fish that we'll never see.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
llabwolg...here is the link to the info that GSA provided.
http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/odfw/salmon/saltrollcatch.html

Allowable effort is up 50% over last years total (5360 days so far in 2003 vs 3889 in all of 2002). I am not surprised by either number. When there are more fish to go around, everybody gets more fish, including sportfisherman.

Also keep in mind when fishing for ocean fish, they are not necessarily harvesting Oregon or Washington fish. Some of these are California fish, some are south coast OR fish, and some are North coast/Columbia river fish, etc.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you would like to share fish evenly between sports and harvest for money fishers, you must include all fish taken. This means those in AK that are lower 48 bound and the upriver brights kill off of BC. We as sports get a very little share of the over all take.
We want to fight with the netters when the trollers are out there taking many times the fish, and coming in contact with several age groups of fish. The netters only take one age class each year, and do not impact any other age group, so who is better for the fishery? Yes the trollers work hard, so on and so on, but you must look at all the take on these fish if you want to get a handle on impact. There has been some talk about the trollers impact on the Tillamook fish, that would be a fire pit to stir!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I tend to agree with monoman to a point. Yes, trollers DO take fish out of
more year classes ... However, it has been my experience that most of the
chinook taken on the ocean by trollers are "feeders", not spawners. The gill nets
are catching (almost exclusivley) fish going up river to spawn.

Ocean trollers also have a very low incidental catch rate as compared to
gill netters. Those fish caught incidentally are often times released to go
on thier way. Most incidental catches in nets (be they gill or dragger nets)
are deaders (IMHO).

Now I'll ask your question from a different perspective ... "so who is
better for the fishery?".

Just something to think about ...

-assAssin-

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Well said, FA. I agree that trollers, catching fish individually for the most part, can do a better job of selective harvest and I tend to think they do a better job of quickly caring for the catch after the fish is boated.

Skein

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
FA- What about all those "incidental" TUNA you catch out there while trolling feather at 7 knots for Chinook! :shocked: :grin: :wink:

·
Registered
662 Posts
They do take care of the fish once it is dead! They must be gutted and iced or no buyer will come near them. This is why they get $2.75 per lb and the netters get $.50 or what ever they will get this fall.

But, they are impacting future age class fish, it is much harder to manage three age classes instead of one. When these fish are caught at two years is this the best use? Plus, add up the numbers, how many will we get in all and how many will be sold! Why is our impact on upriver brights so low, but the trollers off WA can get almost unlimited numbers of them? We are sharing the impact with a lot more poeple than just the netters! But nobody seem to care? Why do we care if a troller catches that fish or a netter, if you only get 10% of the impact and 90% are sold (I do not have current impact numbers or the division of them)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Actually Mel, those are incidental Chinook catches that I'm having now ... I've
just been doing real slooooowwww trolls for TUNA! for the past couple of months
and hooking all them thar bothersome Salmonoids.
REALLY!!

-assAssin- :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
monoman,

Two dollars and seventy-five cents a pound?? Really?? Where? I want
some of THAT action!! Sure beats the heck out of the ONE dollar to One-fifty
that the fish buyers in OUR area have been paying! :shocked: :grin: :shocked: :grin:

-assAssin-

PS, recently the fish catches have been down so the price to the fisherman
has actually gone UP to a whole 2 bucks/lb in some ports.

·
Registered
662 Posts
FA
As you know the price jumps around, this was the price pass to me two or three weeks ago from one that should have known in Astoria. I do not know it for a fact, but let's use your price of $2.00.

FA do you have a troll permit? I would be interested in the average weight of the chinooks this time of year.

N

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Miss B Haven:
FA- What about all those "incidental" TUNA you catch out there while trolling feather at 7 knots for Chinook! :shocked: :grin: :wink:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">They are just trash fish. Who cares. :tongue:

(I owed you a couple Mel. CHA CHING. :laugh: )

Leave it even? :grin:

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Just wondering how the trollers are more selective than the netters as everyone seems to assert? I think that they are less selective. I thought the trollers kept all (not just fin clipped) chinook on the ocean? How does a commercial tell if thats coastal fall run chinook feeder or an endangered snake river spring chinook feeder?

And Mark, isn't every fish a spawner? Dont the "feeders" grow up to be spawners? Does it matter if you kill it when its a feeder versus when its sexually mature? Guess I dont understand why killing a 2 year old fish is any different than killing a four year old fish?

Except that the 2 year old "feeders" are smaller, which seems kinda like harvesting a green tomato or a tree half grown. If fish are a "crop" to be harvested don't you get more bang for the buck harvesting the fully grown versus half grown fish?

Not that it matters, commercials have as much right to the fish as anyone else. For the large majority of the public which are not sport fishers, the commercial harvesters provide the means to access the resource (salmon) that they (the non-sportfishing public) have just as much right to as anyone else.

Just my opinion.

UG

[ 07-01-2003, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Uglygreen ]

·
Registered
531 Posts
AS I SEE IT
No one has mentioned who these " Trollers " are.
The Troll Fleet used to be mostly part time over paid government types looking to fleece a resource on their vacations.Most of the boats were 22-32 ft. Some years were good some were bad and they didn't care. They had paychecks comming and PERS to fall on. NOW the ugly rest of the story. With the decline and harvest restrictions placed on bottom/groundfish these days the fleet is changing. Now the Big Boats are after the Salmon like they never have been before.40-100 ft. boats can really harvest Salmon.They can stay out for days.Overnight is no problem.Rough Ocean doesn't bother them.Distance is not a concern.The number of lines they can run would astound the uneducated. These big boats catch more fish. Why the price is so high I don't know.I do know that with these harvest numbers it will soon crash. I did notice that Copper River Salmon was not available @ safeway for very long this year.And I understand that the Sockeye run last year was poor. When the Fishing is Poor in AK it is great here and vice versa.
MY Prediction......The Troll Fleet will soon be the driving force in Pacific Salmon management.Then the big crash will start on a stream by stream basis before anything is done to more equitably distribute the Salmon. With this effective and concentrated effort certain stocks will be severly impacted in ways we have never seen in the past. The new troll fleet will cause severe biological harm before it is curtailed. Ain't that a pleasant thought.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Originally posted by ******:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Originally posted by Miss B Haven:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">They are just trash fish. Who cares. :tongue:

(I owed you a couple Mel. CHA CHING. :laugh: )

Leave it even? :grin:
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">OK...Even- till the next round! :grin: :wink:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Not that it matters, commercials have as much right to the fish as anyone else. For the large majority of the public which are not sport fishers, the commercial harvesters provide the means to access the resource (salmon) that they (the non-sportfishing public) have just as much right to as anyone else.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">True, true.

GSA,

Just don't make this information available to the public for it would conflict with the DR. Lutz agenda.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts