IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When fishing tight quarters like Tillamook bubble or Nehalem jaws, what is the procedure when you hook a fish, or when the guy next to you hooks up?
do you hold position and fight your fish. do you move away from someone fighting a fish and lose your spot?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
When I have been out, it seems like people give you some room.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I've always felt "fish on" has the right of way.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
When we hook a coho it is usually not a problem to hold your ground and land the fish.

When we hook a Chinook I usually wave the net around and tell the boats next to us that we have a big fish on.

99% of the time the boats will immediately pull in thier lines so you can drift back with the fish.

There is no way, in my opnion, to land a Chinook while holding ground.

They just take off to much line and you would be collecting peoples gear that where to far away to hear your warnings.

Remember the Golden Rule and you will remember to take in your gear when someone is floating towards you with a fish on.

I have been fishing the Nehalem Jaws for about 2 weeks now and I have probably only seen about 2 nice fish lost due to people not getting out of the way. After the lectures that they got I think that they will move next time.

Grant

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
If someone hooks a fish get out of their way!

What we try to do is follow in the general direction of the fish and try to stay more or less on top of it. If the guy next to you hooks a fish, pull your gear in, get away and drop back down, up or to the side.

To me this is part of the fun of trolling in situations like this. You really have to be on top of your game! After you do it a few times it get to be an adiction!

We hooked a nice fish last week at the Jaws in Nehalem and this joker in a brand new sled wanted to get a look so he comes trolling up about 10 feet from our boat to get a gander. We started yelling at him but he did not have a clue :hoboy:
so we just turned the bow of my boat toward his and started working our way closer... he got the message :shrug:

If you do get your line tangled in someones that is fighting a fish just free spool it and hope you get your stuff back and that the guy fighting the fish lands it.

Grants right, do what he said. :grin: Grant sometimes those Coho can rip you up too! :tongue:

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Here's the dirtiest trick in the book. If using braid it works better, but if you have a fish on and someone entangles your line, particularly if they have a fish on too, loosen your drag or go free spool (only if using barbed hooks) and let it scream off. The friction will cut through the other guys line in 1-2 seconds and you're good. Great albacore tip for combat party boats. Make sure your netboy is watching for gunfire. The idiot who tangled you will lose their whole setup. I hold no responsibility for potty mouth or worse that may result from this technique, but only to say it's often the only way to be sure you get your fish out of a really bad situation.

·
Registered
540 Posts
One rule that works well in our boat and seem to fit in no matter where the fishing is is "Do unto others what you would have them do uoto you". I agree with LS fish-on has the right-of-way.

·
Registered
141 Posts
when you hook a fish all you do is yell fish on so you get the other anglers to get your attetion and they will get out of the way and they may move in closer in your spot but you will always get it back.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes, combat fishing can be fun if everyone keeps their cool and respects each other. It's when people start acting like there are no other boats around (sorry, but some guides are real good at this) and that it's their river only that causes problems. Anger management on the river is a good thing.

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
When operating a boat with a fish on, I find it easier to control the situation if I keep one hand on the tiller and one hand on the bow of the boat behind me :shocked:

3 yrs ago back bouncing for spingers at Bonneville was absolutely the wildest test I've seen. Deep fast water, boats within 15' of all sides at all times. A pack so big that you were often 5-6 boats from the edge each way. All you could do was try to hold your position and fight your fish. At least they weren't real big.

Fun, in a weird way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts