IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of dragging my boat to fish a great zipper lip location, I decided to try out the Combat Zone at PC from the shore. Oh my goodness. It certainly was a zoo out there, and I know it will be worse on the weekend. The final tally was about a half a dozen fish for about 150 people for all day of combat fishing Neandrathal style. :shocked: :shrug: I did not touch a fish. I spent more time untangling line, and getting seaweed off the hook, than fishing. Yikes, this was awful. Take a look at the picture, this is after over half the crowd left, because fishing was poor.

I can't believe that that many people actually squeeze in just to try to catch the two or three fish that will be hooked in a given day. :shrug:

People must have snagged up with me 75 times today, all by short casters and hardware fisherman, who don't have a clue how to fish in rythm, or who could care less if your bobber is out there, by golly, they are going to cast anyway. Or the 97 bobber fishermen who all want to fish the 12 square foot hole. This is ridiculous.

SKP

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
:hoboy: :hoboy: :hoboy:

You would never, ever find me in a scrum like that. I am marking that place down as one to aviod.

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts
SKP,

Thought I recognized an Ifisher out there, should have said hi. I'm standing furthest to the left in that picture. Couple of points I disagree with you on though: 1)that ain't crowded for that spot 2)many if not most of those guys do a good job of keeping in rythym and managing their lines. Although I was not over in "bobber wars" I didn't get in any serious cross overs, and didn't really see any amongst those of us tossing metal. I think the bobber fishermen are worse off because you have to let the rig drift around out there, and with all the little cross currents and line bellies, lots of tangles happen. Everyone seemed pretty good natured about it today 3) 2-3 fish a day? You should be there sometime when there really rolling. Fish after fish after fish.

Here's where we do agree: the seaweed sucked and it was pretty slow. I counted 4 fish on corkies, 4 or 5 on bobbers, and the guys in the boats got several on kwikfish (none on blades :depressed: ). I didn't get there till 7:15 and left at 2:30.

I have a special affinity for that type of combat fishing once in a while, and that crowd is a good one- everyone plays by the rules, no real jerks (usually), and it occured to me today that for a spot with a hundred people (fishers, family members, kids running around, tourists stopping to watch) there was VERY little trash left around.

Sorry I didn't introduce my self. I thought, "man I could have sworn I've seen him on ifish, but..."

:cheers:
Darian

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm sure not experienced enough to battle that crowd. Maybe if I took a couple of the kids with me, they wouldn't cuss as bad at me when I tangle them!!!!

[ 09-26-2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Crabby ]

G

·
Originally posted by 5-Cents:
:hoboy: :hoboy: :hoboy:

You would never, ever find me in a scrum like that. I am marking that place down as one to aviod.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Come on Shane. A new place for the Carrots to challenge. :tongue: :shocked:

·
Registered
391 Posts
if you think THAT is bad, never ever fish the little salmon river in idaho..its probably 10x times worse, and there they are just snagging fish in the rapids..they would break fish off on 50lb test! :shocked:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Rick this is one thing you and I agree 100% on, no crowds for me! That's why you will never see me in that OC mess either! :hoboy: Not enough elbow room to change your mind let alone your cabbage silk!
:grin:
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Riverkeeper,

You should have said hi. I didn't see any ifisher hats at all today.

It was pretty crowded in my humble opinion. Most of my tangles came at high tide. There was a boat out there that tossed hardware right in the middle of the bobber crowd. For a while there about every 5 minutes people yelled, "Line Across". I bet that boat guy got me 8 times today, not counting how many others. But yes, no one yelled at him, that was good.

In years past, I've been there when its fish after fish after fish. That's fun. However, the crowds aren't getting any smaller. Oh well.

The crowd was pretty good today, I'll admit that. But there were a couple jerks too. When families and kids are there, I really don't want to hear potty jokes. That's just not right. Just out of respect, people should keep it cool when families and kids are around, especially little girls. I'm sorry, but little kids don't need to hear potty talk.

I was with my friend that had two boys there. You probably saw them fishing for a while to the left of you casting north from the rocks. The youngest boy hooked one near high tide on the boat ramp on a spinner, but it broke him off. He got one in the morning, about a 21 pounder.

When 50 bobbers are flying, I understand everyone makes a bad cast once in a while, but there were a couple of guys today that just didn't have it together, and were messing people up. You have to let your bobber drift out if you short cast, not reel everyone in. Well, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they were beginners. We've all been there.

I don't know if you noticed, but only one boat did all the hooking on Kwikfish. They hooked 5 and landed 3. No other boat even hooked one on a Kwikfish. They must have had some secret scent or bait wrap.

Anyway, it was better then some of the days I've seen.

I wish the bite would turn on, though, like it did on the Columbia River this year. Perhaps some rain and cooler weather again will help.

Well, anyway, it's still hard to fish like that, but I know it can be rewarding too. I wish I had a jet sled. Maybe some day.

[ 09-26-2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: SKP ]

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I learned how to bobber fish off that point, now everything else comes easy.

By the way I think a few more guys can squeeze in there. :wink:

Bobby

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts
However, the crowds aren't getting any smaller. Oh well.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Such is fishing these days. And you're right, there were certainly some guys who should have watched and learned for a while before elbowing in.

I saw your buddy's boy get that first fish, that was great.

Bobby, I half expected to see you out there today.

Next time guys. :cool:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
And my buddies wonder why I have pretty much given up on Salmon fishing this time of year for Bass fishing.

The picture explains why. But hey, everyone continue to go rub elbow's and cast over each other's lines. Make's more room on the water for me this time of year.

And if the Salmon crowd's get to be to much for you, TAKE UP GOLF!!!! :grin:

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts
Oh, and speaking of combat fishing at it's finest, next time your down that way, stop in at Ron's shop in Hebo. There's a picture on the wall of the hatchery hole on three rivers on a busy day. Wow!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
That looks like a colossal waste of time and money. At the least its not fishing. You can buy fresh Gill net caught silvers here in Forest Grove for $1.25 a pound.I certainly cannot afford to run my big North River sled all day and catch fish that cheap. I know it sounds bad but it is the truth. Besides that is not the only place that it a zoo. Try the Lower Columbia River the last few weeks. I am just saying that a person could buy fish cheaper rather than put up with that. I wish I would not have told my wife that because she is eyeing my sled and saying I told you so. But that is a discussion for a later day.

·
Registered
733 Posts
s king you can always use the sled to haul bark dust...
or park it in the front yard and grow tulips in it. joco

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Fisheromen - That is the Bob Straub boat ramp at Pacific City and that is not crowded for that place. By the way, there will be at least that many folks just out of camera range to the left fishing the "pogey hole" and at least as many to the right, off camera, fishing from the launch itseld and a hogline just downstream throwing hardware and sometimes "fly fishing".

I was just leaving Bernie's store one time (the combination Sporting Goods/Radio Shack/gas station) during the peak of the fall run when a fella came in asking how to get to the boat ramp. Seems he had a bus load of Boy Scouts that he had promised to take salmon fishing and he wanted directions to the Bob Straub ramp. I couldn't do it. Feeding 30 or 40 young scouts to the ramp beasts was just not in me.

I sent him to the gaurd rail hole instead. They had just as much chance catching a fish there and they had a much better chance of coming out alive! :shocked:

·
Registered
771 Posts
The fish photos on my website (profile) were caught at that ramp. Back in the day when I'd get up at 2am to try to get a rock to stand on, then freeze for 3 hours waiting for daylight. :hoboy:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I bank fished a lot and as bad as it may look to the uninitiated it is a good learning experience. If you can fish PC, the hospital or the blue hole you learn how to fish in unison with others which will benifit you and everyone you fish around no matter where you fish. I have seen just as many rude and stupid people in boats. After the initial learning curve you become a better fisherman in any situation. Its kind like taking a defensive driving course. If you are going to fish in Oregon you can be in the middle of the Columbia and people will anchor next to you deal with it. IMHO if we tried helping each other instead of giving each other the stink eye life would be better for everyone.
Randy

1 - 20 of 44 Posts