IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent my weekend down in Cathlamet and managed to get a couple pics of this guy. There was another buck that was much bigger than him that always seemed to escape the camera. Notice his ear hanging down, and the long tines down towards the base either aren't really his eye-guards or he is growing doubles, cause there is another point below those.

· Registered
2,593 Posts
I swear I saw a Columbia White tail when I used to ride my bike up in the timber roads above Vernonia. I stopped and got a good look at the buck, and to me anyway it definitely didn’t look like a black tail. Nobody believed me though, and maybe I was wrong.

That’s a nice and fat looking buck. He’s eating well.:food:

· Registered
842 Posts
I swear I saw a Columbia White tail when I used to ride my bike up in the timber roads above Vernonia. I stopped and got a good look at the buck, and to me anyway it definitely didn’t look like a black tail. Nobody believed me though, and maybe I was wrong.

That’s a nice and fat looking buck. He’s eating well.:food:

A few years back I had seen 2 whitetail bucks and 3 does just out of vernonia. I beleive it was up pebble creek or something like that!!!

Casey

· Banned
1,273 Posts
I`am losing seeing all of these animal pictures :bigshock::bigshock::bigshock::bigshock::bigshock:,I can`t waut till 8-25 :pray::pray::pray::pray:,me and my son have been practicing our Elk calls :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

· Registered
2,603 Posts
A few years back I had seen 2 whitetail bucks and 3 does just out of vernonia. I beleive it was up pebble creek or something like that!!!

Casey
Call or email Pete Test at ODFW and he might be able to verify whether there are WTD in that area.

· Registered
6,590 Posts
Whiltetails are the one deer doing well across the country. Someday they will be throughout the valley.

· The Measurer
2,664 Posts
Historical ranges for the "columbian whitetail" deer are from the Mouth of the columbia, to about the Boneville area and inland on both sides for several miles.

The #2 columbian whitetail (Oregon Record book... nwbiggame.com) was killed in the St. Helens / Vernonia area in the 40's. The islands on the columbia still have countable numbers. That #2 buck is on the wall in McLagan's Taxidermy in Bend.

Obviously, Roseburg has a bunch, hench the de-listing and the controlled hunts for the past 2 seasons. The Willamette Valley distribution USED to be from Salem all the way to Medford from what we have discovered in research.

The whitetails you see now in the Ochoco's, Maury's, Wallowa's, Union Co., etc are strains of Eastern Whitetail. They've always been in a few counties in NE OR.

As far as cross breeding, as one could linger down the road to say that the occassional "whitetail" looking deer that we see in the NW area might be a genetic throughback....

There is still debate amongst hunters ,and even some bio's as to whether the Columbian Whitetails cross with Mulies or Blacktails. Some swear by it, others defend the genetic difference.

I can say that from years of antler measuring experience that there is incredible evidence to support characterics of cross-breed in the antlers between Eastern Whitetail and Mulies. However, I honestly don't ever see any apparently cross bread Columbian Whitetail/Blacktails on our Roseburg properties that we hunt and guide on. So who knows.

· Registered
6,715 Posts
WOW In the Ochoco's. I will keep my eyes open.
My elk hunting partner has been seeing whitetails along the South Fork John Day for several years now. He also found a set of whitetail sheds near Murderers Cr Ranch a few years ago.

There's getting to be a viable herd out in Logan Valley, more every year!

These are whitetails that have spread from N.E. Washington and Idaho, not the Columbian subspecie.

· Registered
7,034 Posts
My elk hunting partner has been seeing whitetails along the South Fork John Day for several years now. He also found a set of whitetail sheds near Murderers Cr Ranch a few years ago.

There's getting to be a viable herd out in Logan Valley, more every year!

These are whitetails that have spread from N.E. Washington and Idaho, not the Columbian subspecie.
I've seen whitetail does every year that I've hunted near the middle-fork John Day for the past decade. I always see them in the lower draws near streams. Have yet to put the crosshairs on a whitetail buck, but wouldn't hesitate putting my eastside tag on a decent one.:smash:

· Registered
2,593 Posts
I've seen whitetail does every year that I've hunted near the middle-fork John Day for the past decade. I always see them in the lower draws near streams. Have yet to put the crosshairs on a whitetail buck, but wouldn't hesitate putting my eastside tag on a decent one.:smash:
I know it’s not the whitetail from Washington/Idaho that are the protected species in Oregon, just the Columbia WT. But still, I thought the only WT opportunities we have in Oregon were down near Roseburg. I didn’t know you could still take one on the East side.

Are you sure about that?

· Registered
7,034 Posts
I know it’s not the whitetail from Washington/Idaho that are the protected species in Oregon, just the Columbia WT. But still, I thought the only WT opportunities we have in Oregon were down near Roseburg. I didn’t know you could still take one on the East side.

Are you sure about that?

Any buck deer with a visible antler.....doesn't list species. They are fair game!

· Registered
6,715 Posts

Are you sure about that?
There's several late season Whitetail hunts in northeast Oregon. Some good muzzleloader hunts in Umatilla, Union, and Wallowa Co's

I killed a small whitetail buck with a Hawken .54 cal several years ago in the Sled Springs unit. Lots of fun, and the best eating deer you'll ever have!!!:food:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.