IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like we'll be hitting the Columbia around St.Helens or up at Frenchmans Bar this weekend to see if there's any late running URB's.

Plus, I've got a couple of those verrrry sexxxy looking new Brad's 'Mini Extreme Wobblers'
that I'm eager to try.

Should be pretty light fishing pressure, and high slack is midafternoon, so there's time for some chores in the morning. Anyone else gonna be around that stretch of river?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
What time will the tide turn to be fishable?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hey Gary, that may be just the ticket. i have honey-doos coming out my ears since i have put them all off since.....uh...like springer season. haven't sat in my boat for 2 weeks and i'm starting to convulse. let me know where you'll be and if honey turns her back momentarily i'll be there.

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mojo,

The tables for St.Helens:

http://www.westfly.com/or/or_tides/sthelens.htm

(add about 40 minutes for Frenchmans Bar)

List high slack as Sat/1:47 and Sun 2:46pm.

The high/low differential at the coast is only around 3', so it's pretty soft tides and I'd expect there should be suffecient current shortly after those times.

H2O, not sure where we'll be other than the windier it is, the further upriver toward Frenchmans we'll fish. It doesn't feel like windy conditions so we'll probably be within a couple miles upstream of St.Helens.

[ 10-02-2003, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: garyk ]

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
if you want a more precise figure for frenchman's bar, go to tides.com on the info page here on i-fish and enter in washington NOAA, then kelley point. that should get you real close. i was out there on saturday evening and sunday morning and only saw one caught. good luck. BTS

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I was at Frenchman Bar Tuesday with only one other boat in sight. Fished all day and zero fish. Talked to the other boaters and their luck was the same.
The weather was perfect and it was a good day other than no fish caught.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Remember it takes about another hour for the tide to start running after high slack depending how far upriver you are.(It's no fun running your kicker in reverse for an hour or two,unless you have a TR-1.I don't)

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I should be out there around the St.HElens area. I see an early bite or late afternoon bite. Which might be better?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Saturday I am going to head out to the Fishery with a buddy of mine and target sturgeon. I've never boated that area before so it's going to be all guess work.

I'm not sure about Sunday. One last attempt at Frenchman's sounds nice.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I will be hunting,,,,My dad will be out there though...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm going oversizing at Tanner Creek on Friday and Saturday see yall there :dance: :dance:

[ 10-22-2003, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Steelhead Hound ]

·
Registered
140 Posts
garyk,

There was a very large sea lion gorging on the salmon between St. Helens and Frenchman’s bar Saturday. So, pull your caught fish into the boat. Good luck. I might slip out there for a bit, if I have all of my decks clear, if you know what I mean.

Yes I Am

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the report Yes-I-Am.

That's an interesting observation about the sea lion. If he's there, the salmon must be too - and in good numbers!

So who's gonna catch the last St.Helens - Bachelor Island - Frenchmans Bar fall chinook of the year? (excluding that phat pinniped)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Oh great, thats all I needed, one more option as to where to go on my one day off this weekend. I was there sunday and we didn't have a bump, but the low pressure was moving in so i think it killed any chance we had at getting one of the last few fish to bite. I'm tempted by the challenge of catching the last urb and i do so love that anchor fishing. Decisions decisions...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts