IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
41,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next Oregon hearing, January 9, 2004 ... letters still needed!

<Details near the end of the thread, added 11/11>

Columbia River Spring Chinook Allocation Agreement – Action NEEDED!

The Oregon and Washington Departments of Fish and Wildlife are developing a new 3 year agreement (2004 – 2006) for the allocation of spring chinook salmon in the Columbia River. This process will determine how much of the non-tribal catch goes to sport fishers and how much goes to the commercials. The Oregon Commissioners need to hear from us that we want a fair allocation and certainty on the length of the season!

This agreement is critical to Oregon’s economy in several ways. The economic value of sport fishing is undeniable. Sport caught fish bring the most money to our economy. People plan vacations around this fishery so it’s important that it not be cut off do to unexpected closures. This agreement is especially important because from November 2005 through March 2006, Oregon will draw thousands of tourists for the Lewis & Clark Expedition Bicentennial. If those tourists have the opportunity to catch a salmon, it will have a huge long-term impact on our region. If the fish are not available due to the allocation formula, we will have failed to leverage a critical selling point for our state and failed to realize valuable tourism based revenue.

Everyone who fishes the Columbia for spring chinook needs to write or call to voice their opinion about the Columbia River Spring Chinook sport fishery. Historically, 300 commercial fishermen have given more input than 30,000 Columbia River sport fishers. Let’s not let that happen again!

When you send your letter, copy it to your legislator and the governor. Do not bash the commercial fishers or use foul language. This needs to be a positive affirmation of the value of this fishery to you. Give examples of why this fishery matters to you, not why it shouldn’t matter to someone else. Share the experiences you’ve had with parents, siblings or children in pursuing these fish. Tell about your friends that may have traveled from other parts of the country just to catch a Columbia River spring chinook salmon.

Here’s a draft letter you’re welcome to borrow, followed by addresses and fax numbers of the people we need to contact.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

October __, 2003

RE: 2004 – 2006 Columbia River Spring Chinook Allocation Agreement

Dear ________________________;

I am a sport fisher concerned about the upcoming 3 year agreement for the allocation of Spring Chinook Salmon in the Columbia River. Please do everything in your power to ensure that sport fishers are given a fair opportunity to pursue these prized fish, seven days a week, without risk of premature closure due to the impacts of other less discriminate forms of fishing, through the month of April. Sport fishers should be given 1.2% of the 2% allowable impact below McNary dam, to ensure that the economic benefit of the sport season will be fully realized. Sport fishers have suffered abbreviated seasons in the past due to commercial over-fishing and high release mortality rates. Please help ensure that this doesn’t happen again by providing an equitable allocation and a fair season! This is particularly critical in light of the huge influx of tourists expected for the Lewis & Clark Expedition Bicentennial, visitors who will return if they have the opportunity to experience our world-class sport fishery.

Let’s get Oregon’s economy going again! Let’s start by making the right choices for Oregonians by providing a full, fair Columbia River spring sport chinook season!

Yours truly,

Your Name
Your Address
Your State Senate District (if you know it, find it from the link below)
Your State Representative District (if you know it, find it from the link below)
Your phone number

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

ADDRESS YOUR LETTER TO:

Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission 3406 Cherry Avenue, NE
Salem, Oregon 97303

FAX: (503) 947-6202

Governor Kulongoski
160 State Capitol
900 Court Street
Salem, Oregon 97301-4047

FAX: (503) 378-6827

Your State Legislators
Find Your Legislator

[ 12-14-2003, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Well we are up to four drops, how many drops does it take to make a bucket load????
Maybe writing a letter will be good fish karma, I have yet to catch a springer.......maybe this year.

Scott

·
Administrator
41,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Contacting Washington officials may be less productive. My understanding is that they're pretty committed to the Gillnetter's proposal that 2/3 of the quota be given to the commercials and 1/3, less any excess commercial catch or mortality, will be left for sport fishers. However, there's no reason not to write them.

The Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission does not have an easily accessible mailing address, but they have e-mail and phone:
(360) 902-2267
[email protected]

Governor Gary Locke
Office of the Governor
PO Box 40002
Olympia, WA 98504-0002

Find your state legislators:
Washington State Legislative District Finder

[ 10-24-2003, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
Pete,do you know if there is going to be a forum where we can give testamony? How about another bring your boat to Salem soladarity deminstration? These gillnetters are very organized and vocal,heck they have the tail wagging the dog right now.

·
Administrator
41,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The best thing you can do right now is write to OFWC. The second best thing you can do is let your elected representatives know that your wrote to the OFWC. What's most important right now is to provide substantial support to the Oregon department to advocate for and support a fair allocation and season.

There will be a meeting in Longview from 6 to 8 PM on November 12th at the Cowlitz PUD, 631 12th Ave.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Pete, I'm good for a letter each as well. What continues to rankle me however, is the blatant disreguard of the majority's wishes. That is ----NO MORE GILNETTING! Maybee we should consider contacting our U.S. Senators Wyden & Smith. It wouldn't be the first time our federal government could intervene in states affairs. And how appropriate, as the federal government (for the most part)pay's for and executes restoration programs for the Columbia/Willamette basins, and is the final voice in passing judgement on those who seek the bounty. Add two more contacts to my list!

·
Administrator
41,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's little doubt that the majority of sports fishers oppose gillnetting. But keep in mind, most people don't fish, but many of those would like access to their public resource, the fish.

For this process, what's most important is to focus on the economics, cultural issues and jobs. This process isn't going to end gillnetting, it's going to allocate fish to sports and commercial fishing interests. That means it is critical to focus on the dynamics of this process and to build support for a fair allocation and a season with certain timing to provide the greatest positive impact on jobs, tourism, culture and our economy.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Pete,
Count me in on a couple of letters also! The more drops the better>

CAPT KUJO

·
Registered
13,860 Posts
I am very proud of Pete for keeping the sports angler informed about their own politics. Play the game people. If we all play, our numbers get us a "Win".

About time we stood up for ourselves.

Mark and the emailing dog.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Allright, I sent them all out. I know a lot of my friends are not on this internet site and I will be emailing them all to ask for letters from all of them. Thank you Pete and if we all continue to express our voice only good things can happen. Pass it forward.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Definitely important.

'Top-worthy' topic!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Pete,

Thank you for your leadership on this very important issue! I'm blown away that the state I live in (Washington) is in favor of giving 2/3 of the allowable catch to the gillnetters! I'm going to send a letter to Gov. Locke as well as the representatives from Oregon.

I encourage everyone on the IFISH board to take what little time and effort (thanks to Pete's draft letter) to write those letters. If we don't make our voices be heard we have no right to complain about the decision.

G

·
Good work Pete
Hey guys all of you that enjoy your spring chinook fishing on the Columbia better take this seriously.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks Pete,
my letters are already sent out....... the deal is, there is a formula for letters received by voters. The formula is basically, multiply by "X" times the number of letters they get. In other words, politicians figure for every letter they get, there is X number of folks that agreee but don't send letters - so SEND MORE LETTERS! Thanks Pete!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Zigzag

I believe the current formula used by our leaders is 5000 votes per letter, 500 votes per phone call, and less than 50 votes per e-mail.
(But it depends on the subject and who funded their campaign) :grin:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts