IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I wanted to at least get out and fish the st helens/lewis area before the nets go in again, and before the season closes early on sept 5th, and I don't want to be out there the day after the gillnets. Does anyone have the schedule? I've been searching oregon and washington ODF websites and I keep getting "page not found" on links that have been removed.

· Registered
3,257 Posts
Hey, I wanted to at least get out and fish the st helens/lewis area before the nets go in again, and before the season closes early on sept 5th, and I don't want to be out there the day after the gillnets. Does anyone have the schedule? I've been searching oregon and washington ODF websites and I keep getting "page not found" on links that have been removed.
The are no commercial openers scheduled on the mainstem. The next mainstem commercial fishery will most likely occur in mid September for coho.

· Registered
16,924 Posts
From the 'gillnet' thread, the Compact's last release....

* A Compact hearing may take place on Monday morning, August 27 if warranted. Staff will compile data to determine if an additional fishing period can be considered. Commercial fishers are advised that (if possible) a fishing period could be adopted for as early as the evening of Monday August 27.

* A Compact hearing is scheduled for 10 AM Thursday September 13 to consider late fall commercial fishing periods. Location to be determined.

So the question is - is the Compact meeting today?

· Registered
1,185 Posts
The meeting is scheduled for 3pm today (it's a conference call)--
I didn't realize they were going to consider additional commercial opportunity...I thought the meeting was to consider closing the sport fishery even earlier than th 5th...those two agenda items seem to be mutually exclusive, but what do I know...oh yeah, I do know that one way or another they're going to close down my favorite spot by the 5th or earlier.

The fishing is just so much better a few days after the nets go in; I've decided it's pointless to be out there any earlier than 3 days after a soak. I'd just like a few days when the fish have had a chance to spread out and get their travel mojo on--I thought that's what we could look forward to this week and next. Bah humbug.

SC

· Registered
183 Posts
I have a question.
Where does it say that the season closes on the 5th for sporty?
I looked on both ODFW and WDFW and can't find it.
Thanks.

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, I'll be out the next few days before the closure, Here is the closure info on the ODFW page

"
The lower Columbia River between Tongue Point-Rocky Point and a line projected between the lower end of Bachelor Island (Washington shore) and Warrior Rock Lighthouse (Oregon shore) will be closed to retention of fall Chinook between September 5th and September 30th. Areas closed to Chinook retention will remain open for retention of adipose fin-clipped coho and steelhead; however, all Chinook must be released unharmed. During periods open for retention of Chinook, the daily bag limit will be two fish, but only one may be a Chinook.
The area below the Bachelor Island-Warrior Rock line includes the popular fishery below the mouth of the Lewis River. The closure to retention of Chinook in this area is necessary to provide additional protection for lower Columbia fall Chinook stocks, many of which are destined for the Lewis River and other tributaries downstream of the Lewis River.
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2007/july/072307.asp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.