IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is considered "fair" conditions at the Col River buoy? Specifically, things like wind, wave ht. & period. I know this is subjective, but if you have a personal "cut-off", e.g. wave ht. greater than 6' you don't go, I would be interested in knowing that. I am mainly interested from the standpoint that I generally fish B-10 but if the conditions are good (my boat can handle rougher conditions that I can), I will go out.

Thanks,
biederboat

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Hi Mark. I have a 23' Northriver Seahawk with a full hardtop and 250 Saltwater series. It's a fairly deep v and a real good rough water boat. I usually draw the line at 7 feet and above. I'll fish 6 as long as they are at least 8 seconds apart, but I prefer to fish when they are over 10 seconds apart. The frequency really makes a difference.

Today it only called for 4 foot swell, but we took a look twice at the bar, once about an hour before low tide and once about an hour and a half after low tide and both times the ocean looked more like 6 or 7 foot at about 8 seconds. The wind was blowing pretty hard out of the northwest so we just didn't chance it. I'm sure it would have been safe, just too uncomfortable. The odd thing is that yesterday afternoon the forecast was for 5 foot swell and it was more like 3, with no wind to speak of.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks Joe. In case you (or anyone else) don't know, there is a phone number for the CR buoy. You call 228-688-1948, the press 1, and I think 1 again, then 46029, then #. It will give you the same (summary) data from the website. Might save some gas if you're up by the bridge and wondering how rough it is out there.

Thanks again,
Biederboat

·
Registered
400 Posts
turn on your weather channell and you will get the wind speed at astoria, 15 m.p.h. nw is the limit for me
I think the columbia river bouy is 26 miles off shore so the wind varies a lot

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure you're right, it certainly isn't the same "CR" buoy out near B-2, that one is red, the NOAA buoy is yellow.

Thanks,
Biederboat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts