IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done with a week long Colorado mule deer hunt and wanted to share some pics. The area we hunted was outside Meeker, Co. There were lots of guys especially from California because the amount of leftover tags in the area. We did not connect on any elk but got into 3 different herds on opening day but no legal bulls(4 pt or minimum 6 inch brow tine). This hunt was really special because it was with a friend of mine from the first grade, and he recently had a brain tumor removed 3 months ago. Here is his deer a nice 4x4 with a huge body.

This is my deer from the last day of the season, I was trying to hold out but time ran out and my finger was itchin.

We did see some real bruisers but couldn't connect and passed up several deer similar to the one I shot. The deer were really starting to rut and visible all day long. I didn't get the wall hanger I was wishing for but a great hunt with a great friend.

· Registered
10,871 Posts
Get a load of the NECK on that bruiser!
That's excatly what I was thinking :bigshock: HOLY MOLEY!! :cheers: Congrats to the both of ya :wave:

-jokester

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This was all on public land. Lots of BLM in the area most of which is landlocked by private. So you usually have to hike in a ways and get on the borders of the private land from small access points and bone out the deer after you shoot one. On the private land it usually looked like a petting zoo and people were paying around $1500 for trespass fees, thats to much for me. That 4 pts neck was something else and he dwarfed the bucks he was chasing away from his does. The elk that we got into were a little higher in the mountains with a mix of aspen and scrub oak but there were guys killing elk on the ridges of oak as you can see in the pictures. I did not have an elk tag but my friend did because he is a resident so we only gave it a minimal effort without horses it was going to be an ugly pack out. If anyone wants any more info on this area send me a PM and I will give you some direction because there was lots of game and I did see a lot of dead elk in the back of pickups. From the people I talked to the genetics aren't the best but the quantity is there. In this general area there are 40,000 elk and they want the herd down to 28,000. I wish we had these problems in oregon.

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Meeker, great area for deer and Elk. Shot my biggest elk near Meeker. Way to go on the mulies!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.