IFish Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to post a warning to fellow ifishers out there that there are folks that do things without really thinking about others safety.

Yesterday Pop's and two of his buddies were spinner fishing the upper bay in our 18foot Alumaweld flatbottom sled. Pop's was trolling along and hooked up on the bottom to something solid. He ended up snapping off the spinner while the boat was in neutral. As this happened Dad's crew hear a person in a North River yell out "I'm on troll". Dad did not hear this as he was back by the motor and the guy was not close when he yelled out. Pop's reached for another rod and looked up to see this guy bearing down on our boat. Pop put the boat in reverse and tried to back out of the lane. However this guy just proceeded straight into the side of our boat on purpose and T-boned the boat. This action was also witnessed by a professional guide who could not believe what he just saw either. Why would a person ram another persons boat on purpose with total disregard for safety and or damage to each others boats?

Folks, there is no excuse for this kind of behavior on the bay or in any other water way. You do no own a troll lane if someone is stopped in it. Go around or pull your gear please. This kind of negligent action could have caused a lot of problems for both boats in this case. If folks were standing up in either boat someone could have gone overboard and become seriously hurt. Zero excuse for this type of bully behavior. ZERO.

Please be patient and understanding of other boats that are out there. If they do something you do not like just avoid the conflict and the contact authorities.

Pop's did not think to take the boats numbers and report the person. He was to surprised by the event. Shocked really. I would have done this in a heart beat and turned the person that did this. The sheriff could handle it from there. This is reckless endangerment and the owner of that boat hopefully will someday get a clue. There is room for everyone out there. Don't go plowing into the side of someone just because you are on troll. Unbelievable action by someone that should not be on our water ways.:twocents:

Just a friendly warning that someone out there has no clue.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I agree completely. I have seen similar behavior in the past. For some reason there is a certain percentage of people who think that if they are going a certain direction everyone else needs to get out of their way. If you can see that someone is distracted, stopped or doesn't see you then "turn your own boat for cripe sakes." Who cares who's right or wrong, you don't run into another boat if you have the opportunity to avoid it. This is absurd and very dangerous.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Maybe the guy in the NR thought you were in the boat and was trying to rid the valley of unwanted northerner's... :D

Glad Pop's and his crew are alright.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Had a guy last weeked in a winshield Northriver that would aim for me no matter which way I turned..I'd go right he would also, left he would steer left. This was head on to boot! Finally I trolled other lanes just to get away from him. Had another couple guys that would not go the way that everyone else would through the ghost hole and wanted to troll west east insted of north south/south north:passout: Things that make you go :whistle: Glad everyone was ok!:wink:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I can't beleive someone didn't get the or#'s this person will just do it again! How about the PROFESSIONAL??? He could have reported it anonymously.:twocents:

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Sorry to hear that Bernie, Glad pop's and crew were OK. As for the other boater, well the world would be better off without you.

RR.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Sounds like you need to outfit with deck canons and torpedoes next time :wink:

Glad your pop and company is OK. No excuses for that blokes actions under any conditions. What if your boat had been glass/wood instead of metal - could've been a LOT worse. Cap'n McRamsalot would be easily facing attempted murder/murder charges depending on how things shook out then. The only thing that guy should be allowed to pilot is a rubber ducky in a kiddie pool (with no one else in the pool with him).

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I am glad everyone onboard is safe, to bad some good guys had to deal with some bad guy(s)......it's just fishing....!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Hopefully there is somebody on this board that witnessed that event and can identify the offending boat. That person needs to be reported. That is unbelievably ignorant offensive behaviour at it's worst.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Keep in mind that the "danger zone" is "dead ahead to two points abaft the beam on the starboard side". Translated, this means that while you are underway, and not restricted in your ability to maneuver (trolling sport gear is not considered to be such a restriction), where an oncoming vessel is on your right side anywhere from dead ahead to 22.5 degrees behind a line drawn, through the center of, and, perpendicular to, your vessels bow to stern centerline, YOU ARE THE "BURDENED VESSEL", and must "STAND-OFF", unless to do so would put your vessel and crew at risk. IN THAT SITUATION, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO SOUND 4 OR MORE SHORT BLASTS ON YOUR HORN, AND DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO AVOID COLLISION. the only exeption to this rule is "the prudential rule" which obligates the "privledged vessel" to "stand-off", where, if he maintained his course and speed, a collision would be unavoidable. Also, remember, "underway" means all the time, unless you are on the trailer, tied to the dock, or "made fast to the bottom" (anchored, moored, or in the case of a dragger, your net is fouled on the bottom while attached to your vessel). A vessel, while adrift, wherein his powerplant is operational, is also considered "UNDERWAY". Any vessel that is overtaking another vessel, on either side, is always the burdened ("stand-off") vessel, until he has completely passed, and the other vessel is astern.
Bottom line: we should all know at least the basic rules of the road, AND "be our brother's keeper". - NTM.:pray:

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
If there was damage, shouldn't the incident be reported?
You obviously have never seen C&E's boat. :jester:

I had a similiar incident happen several years ago. We were by ourselves in the 3' flats off the mouth of the Wilson when a boat just kept coming straight at us for no apparent reason. Although I sucessfully avoided the collision, the GUIDE (with a boat full of clients) Yelled "Eat ___ and die ____ ______!!"

Huh? :shrug:

I responded that I hoped he was having a nice day.

He is no longer guiding. Duh.

It has happened for many years and will continue to happen. Most of it is in the tight quarters of either the GH or in front of Memaloose.

About all you can do is keep aware, avoid collisions where possible and wish peace and love on all.

Then take the boat numbers and turn their butts in.

:cheers:

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Event was not reported since Pop's did not get boat numbers. Our guide friend is looking for the boat on the bay today. Actions were actually witnessed by 2 boats. I talked to one of the guides just a few minutes ago and he said it was definitly done on purpose by a newer North River boat.

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW, day was not ruined by this idiot. Pop's did get a nice 24# buck that was chrome bright. Perhaps mr. bumper boat was jealous.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You obviously have never seen C&E's boat. :jester:

I had a similiar incident happen several years ago. We were by ourselves in the 3' flats off the mouth of the Wilson when a boat just kept coming straight at us for no apparent reason. Although I sucessfully avoided the collision, the GUIDE (with a boat full of clients) Yelled "Eat ___ and die ____ ______!!"

Huh? :shrug:

I responded that I hoped he was having a nice day.

He is no longer guiding. Duh.

It has happened for many years and will continue to happen. Most of it is in the tight quarters of either the GH or in front of Memaloose.

About all you can do is keep aware, avoid collisions where possible and wish peace and love on all.

Then take the boat numbers and turn their butts in.

:cheers:
So did I he was a guide BIG GUY and just turns his head when approaching you , so I turned mine, my boat can withstand a bump or two his was brandnew. I know two wrongs don't make a r---t but it just seemed like the thing to do at the time:applause::applause:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
What a story! Jiminy

Some people think they have some right of way, real or perceived. In the event of an accident it goes to what would the prudent man do? Everyone regardless of right of way has the responsibility to avoid an accident.

I was over a few years ago on the Columbia near the Deschutes. There was some pretty poor behavior over there. Have not been back since.

It is just a fish.

DW

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
If this person had plenty of safe water to avoid, and from the explination he did, then he should have taken steps necessary to avoid a collision. Also I don't know if this happened or not but the two friends in the bow should have told him that the other boat had yelled something and was bearing down, early steps should have been take to avoid that collision on there part.

That said, it still does not give the boat under power the right to run into the other boat. No mater what the situation is if there is risk of collision both vessels are required to take appropriate and immediate action to avoid a collisioin.

Accident reporting. The law requires that if there is damage to a vessel of more than $2000, medical asistance other than first aid, missing person, death, or total loss of a vessel, it is reportable and must be reported to the agency with jurisdiction, in this case the Tillamook County Sheriff and/or the Oregon State Marine Board. Thankfully know one was hurt and it sounds like there wasn't significant damage.

I am sure that if you can come up with who it was and get some numbers off the boat for the Sheriff to run down they would be more than happy to pay this person a visit and educate them on the Navigation Rules.

Dan

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.