IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went out fishing last weekend around daylight it was about 40 degrees my fingers where cold until the sun came out. I just got a cheap pair of walmart fingerless gloves. Well my brother has got the same gloves that I got and he went fishing yesterday and he said his hands killed him all day with handling his eggs and such. I cant stand being cold, I have a heart condition that causes poor circulations so I am looking for some extreme fishing glove for cold weather. Can anyone recomend a brand. I looked at glacierglove (Website is spelled the same way). Has anyone tried these? Or is there another brand that you would recomend?

Any input would be valuable.

Thanks
SS

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
I got a pair of glacier gloves and I like them a lot. I don't get cold easily but I would rather be warm. Both thumb and index finger peel back, for some fishermen the middle finger is needed at times too. :rolleyes: Anyway, I use my to row with and peel back the fingers to fish, I will definitely buy a second pair when these fall apart. I am sure I will get 3 years out of them, and at that rate it is worth staying warm. Even when they are wet the fleece inside does a pretty good job, of course staying dry is a better way to go, but when you got fishies to pick up that isn't your number one concern.

Buy them and give them a try.

gus

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have the glacier gloves and they work great. When it is really cold (ice on the guides) I take one of the small (about 2"x2") disposable handwarmers and put one inside each of the glove palms and leave 'em. Even though the fingertips are exposed it really keeps your entire hands warm. I think it simply keeps the blood flowing in the thickest part of your hand pushing it to the fingers. May help your condition. I can still handle my fishing rod with these in and I maintain my dexterity.
Bill

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great I am going to order a pair of them. With all the gloves that I have looked at online they look like the best. Thanks for your guys help.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I f I were you I'd get the 951 BK's. I like the fingerless and the windblock fleece are awesome! They get warmer when wet! I lost more pair than I care to say but I keep buying them! For you duck hunters, you might want to check out Glacier Gloves camo hunting gloves. Awesome shotgun gloves! Got so used to them, I still hunt with them even when it is'nt nipply out. Good luck Scott.

~steelymann~

·
Registered
588 Posts
In addition to warm gloves, to keep your hands and feet warm it is also very important to keep the rest of yourself properly insulated and dry, esp if you have a heart or circulatory problem.

Warm hat, long johns, even fleece pants and jacket under a windbreaker will very much help to keep your hands warm...if the rest of you is not warm, good gloves won't be half as effective as they could be.

It is is also easier on the heart if you nicely warm ... so your body doesn't have to pump as much blood around to keep those hands and feet warm.

mike

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
You might also consider one of the fleece muffs (looks like a fanny pack, has openings at both ends to stuff hands in). They come with a nice pocket for putting incidentals in. Toss one of the chemical handwarmers in and they really bring the old finger temp back up in a hurry. Work great anytime you are not constantly handling your rod.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I bought a pair of glacier gloves today at Sportsmans Warehouse. Sounds like the same pair that Gus Orviston has. Can't wait to try em out.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I like Seal Skinz gloves. Seal Skinz look like black cloth mittens with non-skid dots on the palm side. The Seal Skinz gloves breath nicely. I think they even make a Seal Skinz socks but I haven't tried 'em yet. I know I'm going to get wet so I want to stay warm :cheers:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If you look at the wind block fleece glacier gloves they are great for wet weather. I found that my hands got warmer after I got them wet. They also block the wind which is a big plus when hands are wet.

~steelymann~

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Good advice above. Quality gloves are important. When my hands get really cold they allways work and feel better when I put a heavy wool HAT on. Try something that covers your ears and neck. I got this camo wool Elmer Fudd looking thing that works great.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Heated vest.
If you keep the upper torso warm. The warmer the blood thats being pumped, the more cozily the exremeties. Worked fine down to 19 deg. the last two days in Hells Canyon. Now, if I could just figure out how to keep the exposed skin from becoming freeze dried, I'ld be alright! :blush:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use Kenai gloves. If my fingers start ot get cold I slip a pair of Hot Hands inside on the top of my hands. Keeps them toasty all day. I pick up the Hot Hands at Costco, around $17 for 40 pair, and I'm good for a couple years.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
The person that said(keep the hands dry) was right. Put on a pair of surgical gloves with a pair of Columbia sportsware fishing gloves. Belive me you will like it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts