IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cold Bait & Campin\'

Spent last week camping on the lower Rogue and fishing the bay. One problem we ran into was keeping our bait frozen, while living without a freezer. We quickly found that frozen anchovie or herring, packed in ice always became sloppy wet bait by morning and a mushy mess to rig up.No matter if we lay the bait directly on blocks or pack it, by morning time it was fully thawed and quickly useless in the boat.

The solution~ Lay your bait packs at the bottom of a small cooler, cover with big chunk crushed ice and then cover the ice with rock salt. The reaction of the rock salt on the ice makes things SUPER COLD! Our baits were frozen rock solid every day after that. They got so cold, they would remain solid most of the day following.

I know this sounds like a dumb detail and hint, but it is a very big deal if you like to properly fish the very fragile anchovie!!!

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Re: Cold Bait & Campin\'

Dude, :dance: baskin robbins has the coolest stuff its called dry ice it will keep it froze for a long time. cheers Rich

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

:hoboy: If I only had a Brain! :hoboy:

·
Registered
307 Posts

Great idea! You can also use one of the many and /or your favorite brine recipes, in a dedicated cooler for this purpose. Speaking of Baskin & Robbins, its' kinda like makin anchovie ice cream. :grin:

·
Registered
2,924 Posts

I have tried that Baskin Robbins dry ice. My tongue keeps getting stuck to it and I get these massive headaches just before I pass out. I don't like it a bit.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts

Check out one of the new coolers that will hold ice for five days ni 90 degree heat. They work great!!!!! block ice and keep the lid closed.!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts