IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have never fished for the Coho's on the Sandy (or Clack.) and would appreciate just a couple of tips and locations. I'm thinking of also slinging a few flies so any help here would also be great...

Thanks all...

·
Registered
331 Posts
RIGHT ABOUT NOW THROW SIZE 4 BLUE FOX SPINNERS AND LET THEN FREE DRIFT JUST ENOUGH TENTION TO FLUTTER! BELOW THE 205 BRIDGE ABOUT 500 - 1000 YARDS BELOW WE WERE KILLING THEM LAST YEAR AND HAVE DONE REALLY WELL THIS YEAR SO FAR AND WE WILL PROBABLY DO REAL WELL AS SOON AS THE WATER CLEARS A LITTLE! GOOD LUCK HOPE THIS HELPS!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I drove by the Sandy last night and it looked like mud. I don't know if it was the poor light conditions or bad eye sight. As for Fly fishing for them I'm going to try out some pink polly/wog flies my son tied for me. If I catch a Silver on a top water fly I think I'll leave my wife and live on the river. That would be a pretty awesome site.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
David Ulrich,

Your wife is probably safe, they whack the coho in AK on them but our fish suck for agressiveness compaired to those fish up there.

·
Registered
331 Posts
yes, i meant the I84 bridge sorry about that!

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
A friend gave me a tip that brought many coho to the bank for my last year, so I will pass it on. I used a #1 Owner hook and 30" leader with a quarter sized glob of good eggs.

Most people drift the eggs or corkie and yarn through the drift, but I started to just work the eggs very slowly in back-eddies and current seams, even small ones and back-eddies very close to shore.

Bounce the eggs off the bottom then just hold them there 4"-12" off the bottom.

I wouldn't set the hook until I felt the fish start to pull, very little foul hooking that way. The fish would tap-tap the eggs but I would always wait until I felt the pull of the fish.

Most people look at you a little funny fishing so close to the bank and not actively casting every 30 seconds, but that only lasted until I started hooking fish :grin:

Good luck, and don't get pulled into fishing in crowds, there are fish every where through out the river.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts