IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Here is the latest from the NWS for this weekends weather.

Hope to find them straight off twin rocks. We have some soft tides that morning and the conditions as of now look favorable for the weekend. My guess is to head out to 40-50 Fathoms and run deep for nooks & shallow for silvers.

COASTAL WATERS FROM CAPE SHOALWATER WASHINGTON TO FLORENCE OREGON
AND WESTWARD 60 NM

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PORTLAND OREGON

930 AM PDT THU JUN 19 2003

TODAY...NW WIND 15 KT... WIND WAVES 3 FT... W SWELL 4 FT AT 5 SECONDS. RAIN.
TONIGHT...NW WIND 15 KT...EASING TO 10 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT... WIND WAVES 3 FT. W SWELL 4 FT AT 8 SECONDS. SHOWERS.
FRI...NW WIND 10 KT BECOMING W 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON... WIND WAVES 2 FT. W SWELL 4 FT AT 8 SECONDS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
FRI NIGHT...W WIND 10 KT... WIND WAVES 2 FT... W SWELL 4 FT... CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
SAT...W WIND 10 KT...BECOMING NW 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON... WIND WAVES 3 FT. W SWELL 4 FT. CHANCE OF RAIN.
SAT EVENING...NW WIND 15 KT... WIND WAVES 3 FT... W SWELL 4 FT
SUN...NW WIND 15 KT... WIND WAVES 3 FT... W SWELL 4 FT
MON...NW WIND 20 KT... WIND WAVES 3 FT... W SWELL 6 FT

Good luck and remember to be safe and wear a PFD across the bar.

Regards, KHH

·
Administrator
119,603 Posts
When I read this, I had a terrible feeling. :depressed:
Somehow, crossing the bar at Garibaldi was never easy for me, but now it seems near impossible.

I have a lot of fear and sadness to get over.

Where do I start?

I do want to fish coho out there!!!

Jen

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Jen, I know this deeply affected you but you have to realized that those captains and fisherpersons made the choice to go. They could have just as easily made it out and back. Just to big of a hurry.

The ocean is calling you out Jen. Don't let your fears control your fishing dreams. Just choose the right time and ocean conditions to fish.

3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jen,

I will surely remember the families of the ones that lost life last weekend as I cross.

As one person in this sting wrote, I too will have all people on my boat were a PFD. I always did anyway and will definately make it mandetory from this day forward.

A few years ago I lost a friend from prostate cancer and he was a fishin fool. I was honored to read the following poem at his memorial service and I don't know if it has been posted but here it goes:

It is titled "Crossing the Bar"

Sunset & evening star, and one clear call for me, and may there be no moaning of the bar, when I put out to sea.

But such a tide as moving seems asleep, too full for sound and foam, when that which drew from out the boundless deep turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell, and after that the dark! And may there be no sadness of farewell, when I embark.

For tho' from out our bourne of time and place. The flood may bear me far, I will see my Pilot face to face when I have crossed the bar.

Jen, don't feel sad. These episodes will pass and we will all remember and be better and safer for the tragedy that happened.

By the way, it was great meeting at the swap meet a few weeks ago and I still owe you for the stickers.

Take care and be safe.

Terry Luckett: aka "The Kentucky Hog Hunter"

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Hey Terry I hope you catch a boat load. Let me know if you ever have some room for a couple of us Carrots! We are working on a salt version of Carrot Milk we want to try out :grin:

3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shane,

I want to go out on Sunday as well if your interested. The boat is loaded for Saturday. Like I said the weather for now looks good but will definately keep an eye on it.

Call me on Saturday and I will give you an update. Next weekend is my school cycle so I can't go next Saturday but Astoria district opens for silvers next Sunday and I will definately be looking to go out of there if all is clear on the 29th.

Last year opening day was a memorable one out at the CR Buoy so you & Chris get ready.

Take Care.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I don't think you are afraid Jen, I think you have more respect for the bar than you did last Friday, that's all.

As the first mate said, We have done this a thousand times before this. This time was just unlucky.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Terry.. dont think you have to fish real deep for the kings!!! Last week we picked up a limmit for the boat at 15 to 35 pulls in 230 ft. of water. It was an overcast day, if its sunny you know to fish deeper.

Chris Vertopoulos

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
We will be crossing the Tillamook Bar early Saturday morning, but this time it will be different. Everyone on "my" boat will where a life jacket when I cross the bar or in rough water. I don't care who they are or what they think. I cancel about half my trips due to weather anyway, but I could not live with the guilt of having someone drown on my boat.

When I can afford them, I am going to outfit the boat with the auto-inflating life jackets to be worn all the time.

Still I can't wait to get out there!!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Greek,
Last year in when the season opened after the first week in July, I did really well only going out to 150 feet, caught the chinook at 20 pulls. Are there fish in that close yet or do I have to wait a few more weeks?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
873 Posts
Thanks for the report KHH. Just remember, high water is early so if you go out early in the AM, you will probably have to stay out until the afternoon beginning of the flood. If the wind comes up, it can be miserable.

Our plan is to launch in the AM, drop the pots and fish for perch on the high, fish gators through low and check the bar on the PM flood. If good, then it's the ocean.

Good luck and be careful to all.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
" Im the 10 percent".... the fish are where you find them. If there is plenty of bait in close, the salmon will be there. The commercial boats are always a good indicator of where the fish are too. Water temp is probably the single most important element that determines where the salmon will be concentrated. This determines where the bait will be!!!Once you reach the bar keep heading west, watch your temp guage, the temp. should read about 52, when it starts to raise to 54 0r 55 start fishing. I will add that having an ACCURATE temp sensor helps.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts

June 20th 6am 2003 Tillamook Bay Bar Crossing!

Heading out Halibut fishing 26 miles out!
When the water is flat like today we all feel a little safer.

picture taken by Marie at Tillamook Bait Company

The TROPHY / Captain Dennis

3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chris V,

Thanks for the heads up. Definately heading straight off twin rocks tomorrow morning. Leaving Hillsboro @ 3:30 AM. I will head out at when I get there aroung 5:30 or so.

Chris, are you heading out? Any other Ifishers going? We should set up a channel on the VHF to communicate. FYI, this is is the latest from the NWS.

Marie, Looked like a nice ride this morning.

COASTAL WATERS FROM CAPE SHOALWATER WASHINGTON TO FLORENCE OREGON
AND WESTWARD 60 NM

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PORTLAND OREGON

930 AM PDT FRI JUN 20 2003

TODAY...NW WIND 10 KT...RISING TO 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON... WIND WAVES 3 FT. W SWELL 4 FT AT 8 SECONDS. SHOWERS.
TONIGHT...NW WIND 15 KT... WIND WAVES 3 FT... W SWELL 5 FT AT 8 SECONDS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
SAT...NW WIND 15 KT... WIND WAVES 3 FT... W SWELL 5 FT AT 7 SECONDS SHOWERS.
SAT NIGHT...NW WIND 15 KT...EASING TO 10 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT... WIND WAVES 3 FT. W SWELL 5 FT. SHOWERS.
SUN...NW WIND 10 KT...RISING TO 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON... WIND WAVES 3 FT. W SWELL 5 FT. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
SUN EVENING...NW WIND 15 KT... WIND WAVES 3 FT... W SWELL 5 FT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
MON AND TUE...NW WIND 20 KT... WIND WAVES 4 FT... NW SWELL 7 FT

Take care & be safe.

Terry Luckett

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
UPDATE: The Trophy / Captain Dennis @TBC

Halibut fishing out of Garibaldi! June 20

Time: 11:15am just in, Limited out in 1 hour.

Fished only 18 miles out

first one in 33 on squid ten minutes later

second one in 36 on squid 15 minutes later

third one in 33 on squid 20 minutes later

total of 102 lbs of Halibut!

posted by Marie

[ 06-20-2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Captain and Marie ]

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
If fishing for Halibut was THAT EASY everytime, I don't think I would have a problem getting sea sick. :sick:

3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great jog guys.

Nice Hali's. :cheers:

Hope salmon fishing is that good tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Nice Halibut, We were planning on Neah bay tomarrow but unfortunatly we are not going to be able to make it. :depressed: Is tillamook even open for flatties on Sunday, and if so where would be a decent spot to get them, we were planning on salmon fishing out of there but we may try for halibut instead. Those are nice flatties and we would much rather chase them around instead of salmon. :grin:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts